From: Grant on
On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 01:47:35 +0100, Denis McMahon <denis.m.f.mcmahon(a)googlemail.co.uk> wrote:

>On 05/07/10 18:05, jny0 wrote:
>> On Jul 5, 4:18 pm, Denis McMahon <denis.m.f.mcma...(a)googlemail.co.uk>
>> wrote:

>>> Could be that the root account is disabled for logins.
>>>
>>> Try using "su" from a normal user terminal instead.
>
>> That got it. You're a star.
>
>I think you can enable the root account for logins, but it seems most
>linuxes are by default set up so that you have to use the superuser (or
>switch user) command (su) to log in as root.

Most Linux distros care about security, disallowing direct root login
at least makes an attacker go through two password searches. A decent
system would kick them out before the first user login succeeded.

For machines only accessible from .localnet, I'll allow root login
for convenience. Machines accessible from the Internet don't allow
username/password logins here. And the login port is usually closed.

Grant.
From: jny0 on
Using su is all well and good when I'm using terminal programs (which
I mostly do), but I've just started trying to use eclipse, which I (so
far) access from the GUI. At this point I'm still just a user, so
don't have permissions to build the project. How can I get root
permissions on the GUI?
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Jul 6, 8:47 pm, Denis McMahon <denis.m.f.mcma...(a)googlemail.co.uk>
wrote:
> On 05/07/10 18:05, jny0 wrote:
>
> > On Jul 5, 4:18 pm, Denis McMahon <denis.m.f.mcma...(a)googlemail.co.uk>
> > wrote:

> >> Could be that the root account is disabled for logins.
>
> >> Try using "su" from a normal user terminal instead.
> > That got it.  You're a star.
>
> I think you can enable the root account for logins, but it seems most
> linuxes are by default set up so that you have to use the superuser (or
> switch user) command (su) to log in as root.
>
> Google should point you in the right direction.
>
> Rgds
>
> Denis McMahon

This is also often an SSH setting in /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

PermitRootLogins no

There are good security and usage tracking reasons to do this,
especially in an environment with multiple root level administrators.
From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Jul 7, 4:51 am, jny0 <j...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Using su is all well and good when I'm using terminal programs (which
> I mostly do), but I've just started trying to use eclipse, which I (so
> far) access from the GUI.  At this point I'm still just a user, so
> don't have permissions to build the project.  How can I get root
> permissions on the GUI?

Type 'su eclipse', or something like it.

But if you don't have permissions to build the project, something else
is profoundly wrong in your normal setups. Such software should never
be checked out and compiled directly as root, lest errors in the build
or install procedures overwrite system components accidentally in the
development stage. I've seen way, way, way too many badly written
build procedures explode systems when run as root, especially when
they mishandle "rm" stile commands.
From: John Hasler on
jny0 writes:
> ...but I've just started trying to use eclipse, which I (so far)
> access from the GUI. At this point I'm still just a user, so don't
> have permissions to build the project. How can I get root permissions
> on the GUI?

If you need to be root to build the project something is seriously wrong.

--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com