From: Mark Arnold [MVP] on
On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 04:50:31 -0500, "Hank Arnold" <rasilon(a)aol.com>
wrote:

>Sure you can.... There is a cage that can be added that will convert the 2
>external drive bays into a 3rd RAID array. It will require that the bays be
>empty and adding at least one more RAID adapter. We configured this for our
>2 ML370 servers until we decided to go with new hardware.....

Hank, Have they changed the internal architecture? Last time I had a
370 in my hands, which was a long time ago since, the stack of 6 was
connected via backplane to a single controller cable.
How could you do RAID10 on any more than 2 disks?
From: John Fullbright on
I wouldn't go with RAID 5.

The Microsoft Whitepaper "Disk Subsystem Performance Analysis for Windows"
gives a set of criteria where it is appropriate to use RAID 5.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/b/a/eba1050f-a31d-436b-9281-92cdfeae4b45/subsys_perf.doc#_Toc72126973
Quoting from the paper:

"RAID-5 might be the right choice for a write-heavy workload if the
following is true:

? The workload consists of large requests in comparison to the
array's
stripe unit size (that is, they constitute several complete stripes of data
on average), or the controller has a write-back cache, allowing writes to be
delayed and coalesced into full stripes, and

? The workload is largely sequential (in terms of LBNs), and

? The array controller can detect and optimize for full stripe
writes, and

? The number of spindles is reasonable, as described in "Rules of
Thumb" later in this paper, and

? Cost is a serious issue"

Since we were talking the same number of spindles in either case, RAID 5 for
exchange meets none of these criteria.

1&2. An Exchange DB workload consists of random small (4K) IOs.
3. You'll be hard pressed to find a controller that can optimize full
stripe writes. Even if you do, the small size of the RAID 5 set proposed
would negate any benefit.
4. The spindle count in the proposed RAID 5 set is too low to meet the rule
of thumb mentioned.
5. Since we are talking the same number of spindles, there is no cost
advantage to going RAID 5.

John

From: Paul Hutchings on
In article <99bfs1hpgehd341ieia37thlhac1aphdf9(a)4ax.com>,
"Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark(a)mvps.org> wrote:

> Hank, Have they changed the internal architecture? Last time I had a
> 370 in my hands, which was a long time ago since, the stack of 6 was
> connected via backplane to a single controller cable.
> How could you do RAID10 on any more than 2 disks?

There is, by default, a single six bay backplane.

One option is to get a split backplane which gives a 2/4 split.

Another option is to get a two-drive cage that goes in below the CD
drive - this has its own backplane.

So with a 6402 SmartArray you can have Channel A connected to the
two-drive cage backplane for the RAID1 boot/log pair, and Channel B
connected to the six bay backplane for the main RAID10 plus the backup
spindle.

I guess if you needed it you could combine the two with a four channel
RAID controller and have three channels.

At the moment I am planning on going with "option A" but having a 73gb
15k mirror for the OS/logs instead of 36gb.

Having the logs on a separate controller channel should offset having
dedicated drives but on the same backplane as the store.

I believe going this way will do all that we need for now and the
foreseeable future - if we find performance is a problem it's easy
enough to add an enclosure and add disks, but it's possible we'll be
looking at things such as SANs within the next 12 - 18 months so I'm
hesitant to invest in drive cabinets right now unless they are 110%
necessary.

I downloaded the Dell Exchange 2003 sizer tool and even if you tell it
there are a thousand heavy users it only suggests a PE2800 with 2gb ram
and internal RAID5, sods law the HP website times out trying to get
their sizer tool :-)

Paul
--
paul(a)spamcop.net
From: John Fullbright on
"I downloaded the Dell Exchange 2003 sizer tool and even if you tell it
there are a thousand heavy users it only suggests a PE2800 with 2gb ram
and internal RAID5, sods law the HP website times out trying to get
their sizer tool :-)"

Wow, a thousand. Let's see.. the assumption for a heavy user, which in over
300 deployments in my experience has never been accurate, for a heavy user
is .75 IOPS. Let's be generous and assume everyon is using cahced mode and
we have a 2:1 read write ratio. Your limit would still be just under 200
users using the math in "Optimizing Storage for Exchange 2003".

<PESSIMISM>
Consider the source: Dell is trying to sell you hardware. Microsoft is
trying to prevent support cases. Which would you trust? Sounds to me like
and undersell, and Dell will go after the SAN sale in 12 months with a
similarly undersize Clariion. Six months later, they'll follow up by
recommending a bunch of additional shelves costing more than the original
SAN purchase.
</PESSIMISM>

From: Paul Hutchings on
In article <#Txa74HGGHA.608(a)TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
"John Fullbright" <Fullbrij(a)comcast.com> wrote:

> Wow, a thousand. Let's see.. the assumption for a heavy user, which in over
> 300 deployments in my experience has never been accurate, for a heavy user
> is .75 IOPS. Let's be generous and assume everyon is using cahced mode and
> we have a 2:1 read write ratio. Your limit would still be just under 200
> users using the math in "Optimizing Storage for Exchange 2003".

John, thanks for all the info.

I've been reading the "Calculate Your Server Size" document at Microsoft.

Now if I'm understanding all this correctly, at it's most basic I should
assume around 80 IOPS/Second per spindle on a RAID10 disk subsystem.

This gives approx 320 IOPS/Second on a 4 spindle RAID10.

If I assume that every single user (physical member of staff not
mailboxes) who will be using this server is a "heavy user" I have around
400 staff at 0.75 IOPS/Second per user, so 400 x 0.75 = 300 IOPS/Second.

That's if *everyone* is a heavy user, I guess it also assumes they all
using the server at the same time (they don't) and it also assumes that
Microsofts average of 0.75 for a heavy user is accurate.

It seems to suggest that I'm speccing about right?

Of those 400 staff I'd break it down as approx 200/100/100 if I were to
try and say what the light/medium/heavy user split is (we have a lot of
technicians and users who don't work at a desk and use mail all day).

I'll do some digging and see how they suggest measuring/converting the
load on the current 5.5 box to IOPS/Second per Mailbox so I can get a
measurement rather than take an educated guess.

Thanks again,
Paul
--
paul(a)spamcop.net