From: John Fullbright on
Yes, that's Nicole Allen's blog. The only thing I don't like about is the
IOPS per spindle numbers have no time associated with them. Yes, you can
load a 10K spindle to 130 IOPS, however your IO times will increase as you
load the spindle up. At 130 IOPS/10K spindle, we're talking 80 to 100ms IOs
which are unacceptable for Exchange.

From: Paul Hutchings on
"John Fullbright" <Fullbrij(a)comcast.com> wrote in

> Yes, that's Nicole Allen's blog. The only thing I don't like about is
> the IOPS per spindle numbers have no time associated with them. Yes,
> you can load a 10K spindle to 130 IOPS, however your IO times will
> increase as you load the spindle up. At 130 IOPS/10K spindle, we're
> talking 80 to 100ms IOs which are unacceptable for Exchange.

I've been logging the Disk Transfers/Sec every second against the database
drive for a couple of hours now as it's an average working day.

I'm shocked. Minimum 0, Maximum 861, average of 45.721.

With 400 users maximum this gives 0.11 IOPS per user.

Seems low but the numbers can't lie can they?

Paul
From: John Fullbright on
Read the paper "Optimizing Storage for Exchange 2003". Use the peak, not
the average. In fact,
"Always design your system to allow 20 percent more utilization than you
expect for peaks. This allows the storage and processors to handle spikes
during peak periods."

If you use the average value, you will experience performance problems as
evidenced by your peak value of 861. With a peak of 861 and 400 users, your
IOPS value is 2.305 without adding the 20% as the paper recommends.