From: Bob Harris on
In article <dorayme-BC5129.13134428072010(a)news.albasani.net>,
dorayme <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> Recommendations appreciated for a menu item (say on the top right
> along with date, display, spotlight, CPU% and other things I
> have) that tells one how much real RAM is being used. I am using
> Tiger mainly, but also have Snow on a laptop for which same
> question.

In my opinion, the only thing you care about is whether you are
paging to the /var/vm/swapfile* files.

The Mac is going to try and use all of your memory, so your free
space should mostly be low.
From: dorayme on
In article
<nospam.News.Bob-01323F.22214729072010(a)news.eternal-september.org
Bob Harris <nospam.News.Bob(a)remove.Smith-Harris.us> wrote:

> In article <dorayme-BC5129.13134428072010(a)news.albasani.net>,
> dorayme <dorayme(a)optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Recommendations appreciated for a menu item (say on the top right
> > along with date, display, spotlight, CPU% and other things I
> > have) that tells one how much real RAM is being used. I am using
> > Tiger mainly, but also have Snow on a laptop for which same
> > question.
>
> In my opinion, the only thing you care about is whether you are
> paging to the /var/vm/swapfile* files.
>
> The Mac is going to try and use all of your memory, so your free
> space should mostly be low.

Yes, I am sure there is not a lot to worry about; since OS X, I
have rarely had much trouble. Now and then an app quits
unexpectedly or there might be a slowdown but this is rare. It
was more out of curiosity. I hope these little fiddly menu things
are not counterproductive in taking up RAM and CPU!

--
dorayme
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <vilain-63867B.18070328072010(a)news.individual.net>,
Michael Vilain <vilain(a)NOspamcop.net> wrote:

> In article <jollyroger-A10C6B.17501828072010(a)news.individual.net>,
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <vilain-96AC25.15003628072010(a)news.individual.net>,
> > Michael Vilain <vilain(a)NOspamcop.net> wrote:

> > > Except it's not as configurable as MenuMeters and cost $10. I ran it
> > > for about 30 minutes, then tossed it going back to MenuMeters. For
> > > intensely concentrated information, I use XRG which is also free.
> > >
> > > http://www.gauchosoft.com/Software/X%20Resource%20Graph/
> >
> > It's only the latest version that requires payment. Up until that point
> > it was donation-ware.
> >
> > I'm not sure what makes you think iStat menus isn't as configurable as
> > MenuMeters, but I'd have to see some proof before I believed it. I've
> > used both, and as far as I can tell, iStat menus offers *more*
> > configurability than MenuMeters.
> >
> > XRG is ok but for menu-based information, nothing beats iStat menus,
> > IMO.
>
> OK, best I could get to configure was the color of the graph. Not what
> is graphed (%, thermometer, historical)

Then you overlooked it. You can do all that.

>, the type of graph (MenuMeters
> can do log, square root, cube root, or linear scaling which is useful
> for network data),

iStat Menus lets you set the scaling of the network graph.

> you can adjust the width of the graphs, sampling
> interval.

Same with iStat Menus.

> Menu Meters doesn't have temperatures, which another free
> tool can provide.

iStat Menus has temperatures, disk usage, disk activity, fan sensors, a
really nice date & time replacement with a pop-down calendar that has
lots of configuration options, battery display, etc.

> I don't like the CPU monitor for my 8 core system, so
> I use XRG for that detailed display.

I like iStat's CPU display a lot!

> iStat menus didn't suit me enough to pay $10 for it so I tossed it. I
> like MenuMeters more. Test drive it for yourself (or don't). As I
> said, YMMV.

I've used both, and I've found iStat Menus is definitely the less buggy
of the two. It also feels more polished, and has more widgets than Menu
Meters.

JR
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <vilain-300EFD.10355030072010(a)news.individual.net>,
Michael Vilain <vilain(a)NOspamcop.net> wrote:

> Maybe my 30 minutes of dinking with iStat Menus wasn't enough. I just
> didn't see the options other than skin color. And it was $10. iStat
> Pro doesn't have those restrictions.

Like I said, older versions of iStat Menus are free (donation) ware.

JR
From: Jolly Roger on
In article <vilain-DD5100.01331001082010(a)news.individual.net>,
Michael Vilain <vilain(a)NOspamcop.net> wrote:

> In article <jollyroger-A98D11.15030731072010(a)news.individual.net>,
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger(a)pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <vilain-300EFD.10355030072010(a)news.individual.net>,
> > Michael Vilain <vilain(a)NOspamcop.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Maybe my 30 minutes of dinking with iStat Menus wasn't enough. I just
> > > didn't see the options other than skin color. And it was $10. iStat
> > > Pro doesn't have those restrictions.
> >
> > Like I said, older versions of iStat Menus are free (donation) ware.
>
> But older versions don't run on 10.6, so they aren't useful regardless
> of free or not.

Um, yes they do.

> iStat Menus earlier free versions didn't work on my
> system anyway, so only the $10 version was an option.

Must be you. They worked fine for me.

> I am running the
> iStat Pro widget which has way more options than iStat Menus has. Not
> as complex as XRG, but I want something I can look at only when I want
> more detailed info.
>
> I think we'll have to agree to disagree here. I see nothing in iStat
> Menus to warrant my using it so I use MenuMeters quite happily. You
> don't agree. Live with it, get over it, and move on.

Yep.

JR