From: gazzag on
On 7 Oct, 12:22, trub3101 <trub3...(a)sky.com> wrote:
<snip>
> Thanks for your reply and input gazzag!
>
> I managed to restore the original controlfiles and went back through
> the restore process. However, I am still getting the same error this
> time on the 'E:' drive which is present on this host!
>
> creating datafile fno=1 name=E:\ORACLE\ORADATA\LIVE\SYSTEM01.DBF
> RMAN-00571:
> RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS
> ===============
> RMAN-00571:
> RMAN-03002: failure of restore command at 10/07/2009 12:05:44
> ORA-01180: can not create datafile 1
> ORA-01110: data file 1: 'E:\ORACLE\ORADATA\LIVE\SYSTEM01.DBF'
>
> Having successfully performed RMAN database duplication before I am in
> no doubt that what you have suggested will work. Still I am more than
> curious as to why the restore option should be failing in this manner.
>
> Many thanks again,
>
> tb3101

You shouldn't be restoring your control files. That's your problem.
You should be using RMAN's DUPLICATE DATABASE functionality.

HTH

-g
From: trub3101 on
On 7 Oct, 13:06, gazzag <gar...(a)jamms.org> wrote:
> On 7 Oct, 12:22, trub3101 <trub3...(a)sky.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>

> > Thanks for your reply and input gazzag!
>
> > I managed to restore the original controlfiles and went back through
> > the restore process. However, I am still getting the same error this
> > time on the 'E:' drive which is present on this host!
>
> > creating datafile fno=1 name=E:\ORACLE\ORADATA\LIVE\SYSTEM01.DBF
> > RMAN-00571:
> > RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS
> > ===============
> > RMAN-00571:
> > RMAN-03002: failure of restore command at 10/07/2009 12:05:44
> > ORA-01180: can not create datafile 1
> > ORA-01110: data file 1: 'E:\ORACLE\ORADATA\LIVE\SYSTEM01.DBF'
>
> > Having successfully performed RMAN database duplication before I am in
> > no doubt that what you have suggested will work. Still I am more than
> > curious as to why the restore option should be failing in this manner.
>
> > Many thanks again,
>
> > tb3101
>
> You shouldn't be restoring your control files.  That's your problem.
> You should be using RMAN's DUPLICATE DATABASE functionality.
>
> HTH
>
> -g- Hide quoted text -

Hi Gazzag,

So having managed to restore my original control files i.e. as they
were before any rename/restore/switch datafile/recover attempts, I
cannot now just rename/restore/switch datafile and recover?

Sorry to bleat on about this.

Thanks,

tb3101
From: gazzag on
On 7 Oct, 14:42, trub3101 <trub3...(a)sky.com> wrote:
> On 7 Oct, 13:06, gazzag <gar...(a)jamms.org> wrote:
>

> > On 7 Oct, 12:22, trub3101 <trub3...(a)sky.com> wrote:
> > <snip>
>
> > > Thanks for your reply and input gazzag!
>
> > > I managed to restore the original controlfiles and went back through
> > > the restore process. However, I am still getting the same error this
> > > time on the 'E:' drive which is present on this host!
>
> > > creating datafile fno=1 name=E:\ORACLE\ORADATA\LIVE\SYSTEM01.DBF
> > > RMAN-00571:
> > > ===========================================================
> > > RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS
> > > ===============
> > > RMAN-00571:
> > > ===========================================================
> > > RMAN-03002: failure of restore command at 10/07/2009 12:05:44
> > > ORA-01180: can not create datafile 1
> > > ORA-01110: data file 1: 'E:\ORACLE\ORADATA\LIVE\SYSTEM01.DBF'
>
> > > Having successfully performed RMAN database duplication before I am in
> > > no doubt that what you have suggested will work. Still I am more than
> > > curious as to why the restore option should be failing in this manner..
>
> > > Many thanks again,
>
> > > tb3101
>
> > You shouldn't be restoring your control files.  That's your problem.
> > You should be using RMAN's DUPLICATE DATABASE functionality.
>
> > HTH
>
> > -g- Hide quoted text -

> Hi Gazzag,
>
> So having managed to restore my original control files i.e. as they
> were before any rename/restore/switch datafile/recover attempts, I
> cannot now just rename/restore/switch datafile and recover?
>
> Sorry to bleat on about this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> tb3101- Hide quoted text -

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, what do you mean by "original
control files"?
From: trub3101 on
On 7 Oct, 15:58, gazzag <gar...(a)jamms.org> wrote:
> On 7 Oct, 14:42, trub3101 <trub3...(a)sky.com> wrote:
>

> > On 7 Oct, 13:06, gazzag <gar...(a)jamms.org> wrote:
>
> > > On 7 Oct, 12:22, trub3101 <trub3...(a)sky.com> wrote:
> > > <snip>

> > > You shouldn't be restoring your control files.  That's your problem..
> > > You should be using RMAN's DUPLICATE DATABASE functionality.
>
> > > HTH
>
> > > -g- Hide quoted text -

> > Hi Gazzag,
>
> > So having managed to restore my original control files i.e. as they
> > were before any rename/restore/switch datafile/recover attempts, I
> > cannot now just rename/restore/switch datafile and recover?
>
> > Sorry to bleat on about this.
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > tb3101- Hide quoted text -
>
> Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, what do you mean by "original
> control files"?- Hide quoted text -

HI gazzag,

Apologises for not getting back to you sooner. I believe I may
confusing the issue here. What I am aiming to do is to re-create the
database on another host without having to use the use the original
'target' database which is no longer available i.e. the host server
motherboard had fried!

I know I should have a standby in place but lets just say for all
intents and purposes that the host for the standby was also
unavailable (flood damage!), I was hoping that my original restore
procedure would be able to re-create the database on a brand new
host.

I am quite surprise that this does not seem to be the case.

tb3101

From: trub3101 on
On 9 Oct, 09:40, trub3101 <trub3...(a)sky.com> wrote:
> On 7 Oct, 15:58, gazzag <gar...(a)jamms.org> wrote:

> > > Hi Gazzag,
>
> > > So having managed to restore my original control files i.e. as they
> > > were before any rename/restore/switch datafile/recover attempts, I
> > > cannot now just rename/restore/switch datafile and recover?
>
> > > Sorry to bleat on about this.
>
> > > Thanks,
>
> > > tb3101- Hide quoted text -
>
> > Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, what do you mean by "original
> > control files"?- Hide quoted text -

> HI gazzag,
>
> Apologises for not getting back to you sooner. I believe I may
> confusing the issue here. What I am aiming to do is to re-create the
> database on another host without having to use the use the original
> 'target' database which is no longer available i.e. the host server
> motherboard had fried!
>
> I know I should have a standby in place but lets just say for all
> intents and purposes that the host for the standby was also
> unavailable (flood damage!), I was hoping that my original restore
> procedure would be able to re-create the database on a brand new
> host.
>
> I am quite surprise that this does not seem to be the case.
>
> tb3101- Hide quoted text -

Hi all,

It now transpires that the RMAN backup files (pieces) had somehow been
transferred across from the original host in an incomplete state.
After transferring the backup files correctly I ran through the
restore procedure again and re-created the database on the desired
host.

Thanks again for your input, gazzag. Much apprecitated.

tb3101