From: The Magnet on

Hi,

We're running Oracle 10g R2. I'm restoring a copy of the database
onto a different server. Our retention period is 21 days, with an
Incremental Level 0 each Sunday.

For this restore, I really only need to start with the last
Incremental Level 0, as that is a backup of the entire database. But
when we performed the restore, it seemed to start with the beginning
of retention period, hence 21 days ago. This is not needed, we really
need just from the last Incremental Level 0.

How can I tell RMAN which Level 0 to access. We are using a control
file rather than a catalog. One thing I though of is to mark the
other backups as Unavailable?

Searching Oracle docs, but have not found the answer yet.

Many thanks
From: Mladen Gogala on
On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 07:12:27 -0800, The Magnet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We're running Oracle 10g R2. I'm restoring a copy of the database onto
> a different server. Our retention period is 21 days, with an
> Incremental Level 0 each Sunday.
>
> For this restore, I really only need to start with the last Incremental
> Level 0, as that is a backup of the entire database. But when we
> performed the restore, it seemed to start with the beginning of
> retention period, hence 21 days ago. This is not needed, we really need
> just from the last Incremental Level 0.
>
> How can I tell RMAN which Level 0 to access. We are using a control
> file rather than a catalog. One thing I though of is to mark the other
> backups as Unavailable?
>
> Searching Oracle docs, but have not found the answer yet.
>
> Many thanks

You can restore specific tag or file. Check the syntax for the restore
command.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com
From: The Magnet on
On Mar 3, 9:43 am, Mladen Gogala <n...(a)email.here.invalid> wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 07:12:27 -0800, The Magnet wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > We're running Oracle 10g R2.  I'm restoring a copy of the database onto
> > a different server.  Our retention period is 21 days, with an
> > Incremental Level 0 each Sunday.
>
> > For this restore, I really only need to start with the last Incremental
> > Level 0, as that is a backup of the entire database.  But when we
> > performed the restore, it seemed to start with the beginning of
> > retention period, hence 21 days ago.  This is not needed, we really need
> > just from the last Incremental Level 0.
>
> > How can I tell RMAN which Level 0 to access.  We are using a control
> > file rather than a catalog.  One thing I though of is to mark the other
> > backups as Unavailable?
>
> > Searching Oracle docs, but have not found the answer yet.
>
> > Many thanks
>
> You can restore specific tag or file. Check the syntax for the restore
> command.
>
> --http://mgogala.byethost5.com

Hmmm, I assume that means the tag has to be unique. Meaning that if
you had a tag of "WEEKLY_BACKUP", it still would not know which one to
go after.

Filename, if the backup was in 2 pieces, then I assume you would
provide both files?

This is good info, I'll check the docs. Did not see this before.

Thanks

From: Alberto Frosi on
On 3 Mar, 16:12, The Magnet <a...(a)unsu.com> wrote:
> Salve,
>
> Stiamo eseguendo Oracle 10g R2. Sono il ripristino di una copia del database
> su un server diverso. Il nostro periodo di conservazione è di 21 giorni, con un
> Incrementale livello 0 ogni Domenica.
>
> Per questo il ripristino, ho davvero solo bisogno di iniziare con l'ultimo
> Incrementale Livello 0, in quanto questa è una copia di backup del database. Ma
> quando abbiamo effettuato il ripristino, sembrava di iniziare con l'inizio
> del periodo di detenzione, quindi, 21 giorni fa. Questo non è necessario, abbiamo davvero
> bisogno solo da ultimo scatto di livello 0.
>
> Come faccio a sapere che RMAN livello 0 per accedere. Stiamo utilizzando un controllo
> file piuttosto che un catalogo. Una cosa che ho anche se, è quello di segnare la
> altri backup come non disponibile?
>
> Ricerca docs Oracle, ma non hanno ancora trovato la risposta.
>
> Molte grazie

you can restore any backupset, but for a best restore you could set
retention policy to 1 for keep only last set of backup with the
relative incremental and crosscheck the old backup, because usually
you restore the last one.
you can use flash recovery area for a fast and quick restart of DB for
switch a datafile corruption for example.

From: Mladen Gogala on
On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 08:27:30 -0800, The Magnet wrote:

> Hmmm, I assume that means the tag has to be unique. Meaning that if you
> had a tag of "WEEKLY_BACKUP", it still would not know which one to go
> after.

It will always go for the latest. There is a table called V$BACKUP_PIECE
which actually resides in the control file. That table, linked with
V$BACKUP_SET will give you all the necessary information to do restore.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Spying on queries from application?
Next: use tlm