From: irishronan on
I have followed the instructions at
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997694.aspx

and created a RSG and added a DB to it. However when i attempt a mount
i get the following.

At least one of this stores database files is missing.Mounting this
store will force the creataion of an empty database. Do not take this
action if you intend to restore an earlier backup.

The way i have the (clustered virtual) server configured is with 3
partitions from the SAN (2 DBs and 1 Logs Partition)

I have only presented one of the Database snapshots to the server and
am attempting the above. Can i continue and mount /restore mailboxes
from the DB i wish to or do i need to present both DBs and the logs
partition to the machine and configure the SG accordingly!?

Many thanks

Ronan

From: Mark Arnold [MVP] on
On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 13:22:13 -0000, irishronan
<ronan.mcglue(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>I have followed the instructions at
>http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997694.aspx
>
>and created a RSG and added a DB to it. However when i attempt a mount
>i get the following.
>
>At least one of this stores database files is missing.Mounting this
>store will force the creataion of an empty database. Do not take this
>action if you intend to restore an earlier backup.
>
>The way i have the (clustered virtual) server configured is with 3
>partitions from the SAN (2 DBs and 1 Logs Partition)
>
>I have only presented one of the Database snapshots to the server and
>am attempting the above. Can i continue and mount /restore mailboxes
>from the DB i wish to or do i need to present both DBs and the logs
>partition to the machine and configure the SG accordingly!?
>
>Many thanks
>
>Ronan

SnapShots?
What are you using that requires you to present a snapshot up and
still need the RSG?
From: irishronan on
On Aug 15, 2:36 pm, "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <m...(a)mvps.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 13:22:13 -0000, irishronan
>

> <ronan.mcg...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >I have followed the instructions at
> >http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997694.aspx
>
> >and created a RSG and added a DB to it. However when i attempt a mount
> >i get the following.
>
> >At least one of this stores database files is missing.Mounting this
> >store will force the creataion of an empty database. Do not take this
> >action if you intend to restore an earlier backup.
>
> >The way i have the (clustered virtual) server configured is with 3
> >partitions from the SAN (2 DBs and 1 Logs Partition)
>
> >I have only presented one of the Database snapshots to the server and
> >am attempting the above. Can i continue and mount /restore mailboxes
> >from the DB i wish to or do i need to present both DBs and the logs
> >partition to the machine and configure the SG accordingly!?
>
> >Many thanks
>
> >Ronan
>
> SnapShots?
> What are you using that requires you to present a snapshot up and
> still need the RSG?

judging by your replay am I wrong in thinking that the only way to
restore mailbox data is through a RSG? (if of course the mails have
been purged from deleted items etc...)
Our backup process involves us offlining the MailStores and taking SAN-
based snapshots of the filesystems and then back them up to tape
nightly.
The filesystem snapshot I have restored from tape to a seperate san
lun and then presented the lun to the server. So now I have created a
RSG and a new DB in it(the new 'snapshot' lun from 5 days ago).

Now when i try and mount the DB i get the aforementioned error about a
missing DB. why is this and is there an easierway to restore a mailbox
from a filesystem with the edb file on it!?

thanks

Ronan

From: Mark Arnold [MVP] on
What SAN?
From: Mark Arnold [MVP] on
On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 14:30:15 -0000, irishronan
<ronan.mcglue(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Aug 15, 2:36 pm, "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <m...(a)mvps.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 13:22:13 -0000, irishronan
>>

>> <ronan.mcg...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> >I have followed the instructions at
>> >http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa997694.aspx
>>
>> >and created a RSG and added a DB to it. However when i attempt a mount
>> >i get the following.
>>
>> >At least one of this stores database files is missing.Mounting this
>> >store will force the creataion of an empty database. Do not take this
>> >action if you intend to restore an earlier backup.
>>
>> >The way i have the (clustered virtual) server configured is with 3
>> >partitions from the SAN (2 DBs and 1 Logs Partition)
>>
>> >I have only presented one of the Database snapshots to the server and
>> >am attempting the above. Can i continue and mount /restore mailboxes
>> >from the DB i wish to or do i need to present both DBs and the logs
>> >partition to the machine and configure the SG accordingly!?
>>
>> >Many thanks
>>
>> >Ronan
>>
>> SnapShots?
>> What are you using that requires you to present a snapshot up and
>> still need the RSG?
>
>judging by your replay am I wrong in thinking that the only way to
>restore mailbox data is through a RSG? (if of course the mails have
>been purged from deleted items etc...)
>Our backup process involves us offlining the MailStores and taking SAN-
>based snapshots of the filesystems and then back them up to tape
>nightly.
>The filesystem snapshot I have restored from tape to a seperate san
>lun and then presented the lun to the server. So now I have created a
>RSG and a new DB in it(the new 'snapshot' lun from 5 days ago).
>
>Now when i try and mount the DB i get the aforementioned error about a
>missing DB. why is this and is there an easierway to restore a mailbox
>from a filesystem with the edb file on it!?
>
>thanks
>
>Ronan

OK, this sounds like a truly ridiculous SAN or that someone has told
you to do something plainly wrong.
A SnapShot does not, unless you're taking an incredibly narrowly
defined and twisted view of "offlined" take your stores offline. And
you wouldn't take a SnapShot and restore it into a different LUN. The
whole point of SnapShots is that the data is merely changed block
pointers and resides on the same LUN as the running store.

If you want to get an item back then you can indeed use your Exchange
to make an RSG and then use your SAN client software on the Exchange
Server to mount that SnapShot as a virtual LUN (giving it a drive
letter). You can then manipulate the RSG to see the drive letter and
then mount the "store" (which of course isn't actually the store but
just delta's)

So, exactly what is your storage product?