From: R on
SBS 2003 SP1

We use SBS backup to backup to a USB hard drive.

We then backup that file and some specific individual files to tape using
Veritas Backup Exec 10. It worked fine for a month, now we get

"RSM cannot manage library Tape0. The database is corrupt." whenever the
tape backup runs. Both backups seem to run just fine other than getting this
error.

I have never understood how the RSM worked anyway, we just want to put a
tape in the drive and have the backup use it - not complain about it not
being the right tape. And when I want to erase a tape, I want to be able to
erase it without having the computer argue with me about it or make it hard
to do.

How can I get rid of this error message (googling came up with no clear
answers). And then better yet, can I just disable the RSM service or will I
regret that?

thanks,
Roger.

From: "Charles Yang [MSFT]" on
HI Roger,

Welcome to SBS newsgroup.

Issue description:
==============

According to your post, I understand that when you open the RSM, there is
an error message indicating that the device is not functioning. However,
Backup still works. If I am off-base on that, please let me know.

Analyzing and suggestion:
==============

Firstly, please let me know if the detailed hardware information of your
tape driver.

Then, I would like to know the following info:

1. When this issue occurred?
2. Could you open the Removable Storage management console before? If so,
what changes were made before this issue occurred?
3. Are you backing up the system by NTBACKUP or by the Backuprunner, the
Backup wizard from the Server Management or are you using any third party
solution such as Veritas BackupExec?

We have seen some incidents that NTBACKUP works fine but the same error
message event id 15 occurs due to Veritas BackupExec application installed.
This may occur if some files associated with Veritas or registry setting
became corrupt and would not allow the associated services to function as
expected. If there is any third party backup application installed, please
temporarily uninstall it to have a test.

RSM creates a database it uses in talking to a tape. It is possible that
something in that database is corrupt that would impact RSS but not
NTBackup. Please do the following to rebuild that database.

1. Start the Computer Management tool, double-click "Services and
Applications", and then click Services.
2. Locate and change the startup type from Automatic to Disabled), and then
restart the computer.
3. Start Windows Explorer, open the %SystemRoot%\System32\Ntmsdata folder,
and then rename the existing files in this folder so that they have an
.old file extension, or copy the files to a different folder.
4. Restart the Removable Storage service (or change the startup type from
Disabled to Automatic), and then restart the computer.

For detailed steps, please refer to:
235032 Problems with a Damaged Removable Storage Manager Database
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=235032

Then, please check if the issue is fixed. If not, I suggest that we apply
the hotfix in the following article in which, there is latest RSM files:
895173 You may not be able to use the Backup utility to perform a backup
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=895173

I really appreciate your understanding on this issue, please feel free to
go for all the tests I referred to. I am glad to be of assistance.

Best regards,

Charles Yang (MSFT)

Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support

You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------

From: R on
I'll check this out and let you know. It may be a day or 2 before I have an
opportunity to restart the system as this is a production server.

thanks,
Roger.

From: R on
The service was not started, set to manual. I renamed the files as you
suggested. I will check after tonight's backup to see what happens.

thanks,
Roger.

From: "Charles Yang [MSFT]" on
HI Roger,

Thanks for updates, please feel free to post back the results. I am glad to
be of assitance.

> [...]

| >> doing
| >> so, it will ensure your issues are resolved in a timely manner.
| >>
| >> For urgent issues, you may want to contact Microsoft CSS directly.
Please
| >> check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
| >>
| >> Any input or comments in this thread are highly appreciated.
| >> ======================================================
| >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
| >> rights.
| >>

| >> =====================================================
| >> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| >> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| >> =====================================================
| >>
| >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

| >> |
| >> |
| >> |
| >> using