From: Mike LP on
This is a question regarding all Windows OS's (I couldn't find the right
category). Can the chkreg.exe tool be used for registry repair on all
Windows OS's? If so, where are there more detailed instructions for its use?
Is there a better tool for registry repair?
--
Thank you,
Mike
From: Edward Tian on
Hi Mike:
Thanks for posting here.

Based on my research, you can visit the following Microsoft Web site to
download the utility:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=56D3C201-2C68-4DE8-
9229-CA494362419C&displaylang=en

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000; Windows 2000 Service Pack 2;
Windows 2000 Service Pack 3

If you are using the Small Business Server 2003, I don't suggest you run
this utility on the SBS Server since this utility is not wholly tested on
the SBS circumstance.

The Chkreg.exe utility can be run in the following format:

chkreg /f filename [.log] [/H] [/D [ level ] [/S [ bin ]] [/C] [/L] [/R]
[/V]
filename : File name of hive to be analyzed.
/H: Help information.
/D [ level ]: Dump subkeys up to level level ; if you do not specify the
level, ChkReg dumps the whole hive. No checks are performed when dumping.
/S [ bin ]: Displays space usage for the bin bin . If you do not specify
this, ChkReg displays usage for the whole hive.
/C: Compacts the hive. Bad hives cannot be compacted. The compacted hive
will be written to Filename .bak.
/L: Lost space detection.
/R: Repair the hive.
/V: Verbose mode.

NOTE: Modifying registry files incorrect may break your system. Make sure
that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs.

I suggest that you contact Customer Service and Support (CSS) on how to
check and compress the registry file. They can be reached at:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

Have a nice day!

Best Regards
Edward Tian(MSFT)