From: FromTheRafters on
"Dave U. Random" <anonymous(a)anonymitaet-im-inter.net> wrote in message

> (According to his sociopathic, insane logic, AV vendors are
> responsible for the damage caused by viruses written and
> released by Raid/Dustin Cook...

[...]

You quoted Raid as writing:

"I like to write computer viruses. fearsome little buggers that they are
(That is, if you believe the media hyped bullshit concerning them; And
you can thank various antivirus vendors for that)"

He may be right about that. A virus can be written that does nothing
except spread. Nobody would care too much about that, as it could go
completely unnoticed. Then lets say a payload is included - on the 29th
of February it renames all files in a particular directory with a ROT-13
cypher of the original filename. AV vendors may overstate the payload's
resulting "damage" in order to boost their sales.

He's not saying that they are responsible for the damage (at least not
in the article you quoted).

If the vendor's went on to say that it unrecoverably encrypts files and
hoses your system so bad that only a wipe and rebuild will suffice to
rid yourself of the vicious thing - well then - they *are* responsible
for the "damage" done by their (perhaps intentional) misinformation.

From: Non scrivetemi on