From: "FromTheRafters" erratic on
"George Orwell" <nobody(a)mixmaster.it> wrote in message

....nothing worthwhile as usual, but it did drop some interesting quotes from
the good old days.

>> I think most people in this newsgroup don't have a problem with
>> people writing viruses on their home computers and *keeping* them on
>> their home computers if they wish.
>
> But what if the programmer wants to share his creation with people who
> just might take an interest in that sort of program? Hmm...
>
>> Where I have a problem with is when people indiscriminately allow
>> viruses to be downloaded. This kind of web distribution of malicious
>> code doesn't help anyone in the computer community.

Notice that Graham used the correct terminology of "distribution" for the
kind of "spreading" the malware itself is not resonsible for.
Self-distribution implies both self-replication and "spreading" is the term
for when the program does this as it recursively places copies of itself in
new territory be they programs (viruses) or devices (worms).

[...]

> Most people are worthless anyway, I don't see why you'd even want to
> waste your time with them.

This quote still hits my funnybone. RAiD's rather angry online persona had
its humorous side showing at moments. :o)

Whenever I came across a similar sentiment IRL I say "..wait a minute - some
of my best friends are people!"

It keeps 'em guessing. :oD

From: Dustin Cook on
"FromTheRafters" <erratic @nomail.afraid.org> wrote in

> "George Orwell" <nobody(a)mixmaster.it> wrote in message
>
> ...nothing worthwhile as usual, but it did drop some interesting
> quotes from the good old days.
>
>>> I think most people in this newsgroup don't have a problem with
>>> people writing viruses on their home computers and *keeping* them on
>>> their home computers if they wish.
>>
>> But what if the programmer wants to share his creation with people
>> who just might take an interest in that sort of program? Hmm...
>>
>>> Where I have a problem with is when people indiscriminately allow
>>> viruses to be downloaded. This kind of web distribution of
>>> malicious code doesn't help anyone in the computer community.
>
> Notice that Graham used the correct terminology of "distribution" for
> the kind of "spreading" the malware itself is not resonsible for.
> Self-distribution implies both self-replication and "spreading" is the
> term for when the program does this as it recursively places copies of
> itself in new territory be they programs (viruses) or devices (worms).
>
> [...]
>
>> Most people are worthless anyway, I don't see why you'd even want to
>> waste your time with them.
>
> This quote still hits my funnybone. RAiD's rather angry online persona
> had its humorous side showing at moments. :o)
>
> Whenever I came across a similar sentiment IRL I say "..wait a minute
> - some of my best friends are people!"
>
> It keeps 'em guessing. :oD

LOL!

--
The bear went over the mountain to see what he could see. Hey! The other
side of the mountain was all that he could see! So he went back over the
From: Anonymous on

FromTheRafters wrote:
> "George Orwell" <nobody(a)mixmaster.it> wrote in message
>
>> Most people are worthless anyway, I don't see why you'd even want to
>> waste your time with them.
>
> This quote still hits my funnybone. RAiD's rather angry online persona had
> its humorous side showing at moments. :o)

'Most people are alive today only because it's illegal for me to kill them.'
(Rodzilla in Fidonet, 1985)

From: George Orwell on

"Anonymous" <cripto(a)ecn.org> wrote in message news:20100620020816.2AA331A8180(a)www.ecn.org...

> FromTheRafters wrote:
>> "George Orwell" <nobody(a)mixmaster.it> wrote in message
>>
>>> Most people are worthless anyway, I don't see why you'd even want to
>>> waste your time with them.
>>
>> This quote still hits my funnybone. RAiD's rather angry online persona had
>> its humorous side showing at moments. :o)
>
> 'Most people are alive today only because it's illegal for me to kill them.'
> (Rodzilla in Fidonet, 1985)

GeTitRite, Memory Lapse!

That was in UUCPNET in 1984, not FidoNet in 1985.

https://www.mixmaster.it