From: Dustin Cook on
Dave U. Random <anonymous(a)anonymitaet-im-inter.net> wrote in

> http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.virus/browse_thread/thread/9dfb
> 74f2c301e1f2/79d479157dd0b85a?hl=en&q=group:alt.comp.virus+author:raid#
> 79d479157dd0b85a

Feb 14 1998, 3:00 am

Just so you know, Chekmate was *not* an antivirus program. It was a very
poorly written checksumming utility which didn't do as it's author
claimed in the documentation. After a bit of back and forth here on
usenet, I provided him Antichek; via my isp email. He fingered the
account and pulled my name, Dustin Cook. Didn't take him long to post
addressing me by name instead of handle. I had to email him twice you
see, he claimed he didn't recieve the first email; although it never
bounced. He got it alright, just wanted to confirm my identity with the
second email. I fell for it, but.. in the end, people saw his program for
what it was and it was discontinued sometime later.

I hope nobody spent their hardearned money on the program, as at best it
could potentially (if you followed the instructions provided to the
letter) minimal protection. it couldn't do anything more than tell you
such and such file doesn't match original.

His documentation claimed it was virus proof; it's self checks couldn't
be beat. it would leave dummy files for a virus and alert if one was
modified. I wrote a targetted attack style virus known as Antichek, which
defeated his program's "self check" with relative ease. In fact, antichek
was able to infect his program and use it to infect other files, without
it alerting that it had been modified.

I wrote antichek well AFTER the fraud claimed his program was the next
miracle checksummer. Did you know at one point he distributed it with the
shareware version of pklite on it? You can't distribute shareware
pklite'd files; I called him on it. He changed it to another freeware
compression program and didn't mention any changes in the docs, although
the binary was different.

I only mention all of these things because I know you didn't read very
far into the thread you selected to beat me down with. You have a real
tendency of stepping into conversations without having a clue whats going
on in them.

This response isn't for your benefit, as I know you aren't interested in
the facts, it's for the others you may have suckered via webportals.

I will say again, for the record. Martin Overton was a snake oil salesman
fraudster; he knew it, I knew it, and after awhile, everybody else knew
it too. Yes, I wrote a virus, but I didn't try to take your money on a
false sense of security either; he did.

--
Are you a former BBSer? Want to go back in time to the old days of
ANSI and Renegade? Fire up telnet and go here then: ttb.slyip.com