From: Fred Bloggs on
In article <RUvum.68931$9f6.83967(a)twister1.libero.it>, Marco De Vitis
<starless(a)spin.it> writes

>Actually, I visually checked all fans and they all work. Maybe this is a
>false alarm, or maybe a fan is really slower than normal, but anyway
>this is not a problem for heat: 4 disk bays are empty, and the unit is
>in a very cold (and noisy) server room. This same error might have been
>already there for months without anyone ever noticing.

Well, that's fine. If you can ignore the alarm and are sure the array
is cool enough, then don't worry about it.

>The sound I described above when the unit locks, instead, is different:
>it's an intermittent "beep - beep... beep - beep... beep - beep...", and
>it CANNOT be silenced from the LCD panel menu.

Without hearing it myself, I'd guess at a dead drive (this sort of noise
coming from a drive is it losing its servo and trying to reacquire it.
what you're hearing is the head skipping over the platter surface at
high speed.)

Be warned if all the drives are the same make and model and were fitted
at the same time, the others may not be far behind.

Use the mark 1 earhole to locate the dying drive and replace it.

--
Fred Bloggs
From: Fred Bloggs on
In article <N4wum.67861$1s6.5454(a)twister2.libero.it>, Marco De Vitis
<starless(a)spin.it> writes
>Il 23-09-2009 11:55, Fred Bloggs ha scritto:
>
>> RAIDman lets you setup new arrays, view array status, and diagnose and
>> recover failed arrays.
>
>Are you *really* sure that RAIDman can do this?

Yes. Like I said, we actually have one of those arrays and I am the one
responsible for installing and maintaining it. You may have to put
RAIDman into configuration or maintenance mode; I can't remember. if
you don't do that, it'll only allow you to view the config and not
change it.

>The manual doesn't tell anything about it, it only talks about the same
>simple operations which can also be done using the LCD display.

you've got the wrong manual then.

>> Or you can use the serial port on the back of the array and talk to it
>> via minicom on Linux or Hyperterminal on Windows.
>
>Again, are you sure RAID management operations can be done this way?

Absolutely 100% certain. Why don't you try it for yourself?

--
Fred Bloggs
From: Marco De Vitis on
Il 24-09-2009 13:30, Fred Bloggs ha scritto:

> In article <N4wum.67861$1s6.5454(a)twister2.libero.it>, Marco De Vitis
> <starless(a)spin.it> writes
>> The manual doesn't tell anything about it, it only talks about the same
>> simple operations which can also be done using the LCD display.
>
> you've got the wrong manual then.

It's the only one I could find on the web... this one:
http://snipr.com/s3ok1 [ftp_veracomp_pl]

>> Again, are you sure RAID management operations can be done this way?
>
> Absolutely 100% certain. Why don't you try it for yourself?

I'll do it now that I have your confirmations, thanks ;).
I'm not lazy, it's just that arranging for this test in this particular
case requires some time (for reasons I'll not detail here) and I'm
currently on a very tight schedule for other jobs.

--
Ciao,
Marco.
From: Marco De Vitis on
Il 24-09-2009 13:28, Fred Bloggs ha scritto:

> Without hearing it myself, I'd guess at a dead drive (this sort of noise
> coming from a drive is it losing its servo and trying to reacquire it.
> what you're hearing is the head skipping over the platter surface at
> high speed.)

Uhm... seems strange to me, it really sounded like an electronically
generated sound... but who knows.

--
Ciao,
Marco.