From: Matlock on
Thank you very much, Max. The formulas are working perfecly now. Exactly what
I needed. Thanks, again!
From: Max on
Oops, just realized ... R2 should read as R7. my eyes are no longer as sharp
as the mind still is, humble apologies

In R7: =IF(Q7="","",Q7+ROW()/10^10)
R7 is copied down to R20

The above takes the scores in Q7:Q20, which could contain ties, or even
multiple ties, and for any tied scores, it'll create fractionally different
scores to differentiate these.

It does this through the use of this part: Q7+ROW()/10^10
where the part: +ROW()/10^10
adds a very small number which will be different small number for each row
as you copy down by virtue of the ROW()

These different scores created in R7:R20 are then used as the base to
extract whatever is required (eg the names in O7:O20) via the
index(colO,match(small(colR,incrementer),colR,0)) expression
--
Max
Singapore

From: Max on
Glad to hear that you finally got it going there ...
(do hit the YES button once more for the road!)

> I'll be back when I need help with other formulas
Ahh, but I'd suggest that you post in this MS forum henceforth:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/default.aspx#tab=4

And if you have vba queries, you can post in this MS vba forum:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/isvvba/threads

MS has posted a msg that all xl newsgroups (like this one) will be closed in
end May 2010. The above forums are amongst those directed by MS for ng
posters to go to, and is MS' way forward for queries wef Jun 2010. All the
best to you and farewell ..

--
Max
Singapore
From: p45cal on
Doctor, Doctor, I've noticed that people seem to be ignoring me...

Next!

--
p45cal

From: Max on
> yes, but I supplied a solution and it wasn't even looked at - still
> hasn't been

I'm afraid that has to be answered by the OP. Don't be discouraged however,
this sort of thing happens all the time in forums. Given the fortune of
receiving a plethora of responses to their queries, some OPs do check-out
each response's value and even reply to each individual responder while
others well, do not practice it to this level of diligence. And some OPs
don't even bother replying at all.