From: no.top.post on
In article <4b44e3c5$0$275$14726298(a)news.sunsite.dk>, ArameFarpado <a-farpado.spam(a)netcabo.pt> wrote:

> Em Quarta 06 Janeiro 2010 17:23, no.top.post(a)gmail.com escreveu:
> > But I can't understand since the UPS is designed to switch on AFTER
> > the mains failure.
>
> wrong.

OK, I don't want to influence original contributions, by giving my
full present analysis. But the failure process takes a finite time.
And I insist that the UPS can only acts AFTER the beginning of the
mains 'failure process'.

Can you contribute more than "wrong" ?
---
philo wrote:

> but if the problem was traced to the UPS
>
> chances are it was simply not grounded properly
>
> better get someone who knows what they are doing
> to check the wiring etc
No, AFAIK the earth-leakage -detector works by measuring
the unbalance between the line and neutral current flow.
Since the unbalance must be returning via the earth.
So REMOVING THE EARTH to the UPS & computer circuit
'eliminates the problem'. But that's a bodge.
One needs to fully understand the problem cause
sequence.
..
== TIA.

From: ArameFarpado on
Em Quinta 07 Janeiro 2010 08:27, no.top.post(a)gmail.com escreveu:

> In article <4b44e3c5$0$275$14726298(a)news.sunsite.dk>, ArameFarpado
> <a-farpado.spam(a)netcabo.pt> wrote:
>
>> Em Quarta 06 Janeiro 2010 17:23, no.top.post(a)gmail.com escreveu:
>> > But I can't understand since the UPS is designed to switch on AFTER
>> > the mains failure.
>>
>> wrong.
>
> OK, I don't want to influence original contributions, by giving my
> full present analysis. But the failure process takes a finite time.
> And I insist that the UPS can only acts AFTER the beginning of the
> mains 'failure process'.
>
> Can you contribute more than "wrong" ?

You are confusing a UPS with a emergency electric generator; those are the
ones that start working after the power goes off.
A UPS needs to keep the power up without letting it go down even for a split
second.

The only switch a ups does when the power goes off is that it stops charging
the batteries. The output of a UPS is allways given by the same circuits
regardless if the power is on or off

with power on:

main power -> AC-DC converter -> DC-AC converter -> output
-> charge batteries.

with power off:

batteries -> DC-AC converter -> output

this is the only way that an ups can keep the output on without any breaks.

so resuming: if the ups's output is given the wrong voltage, frequency,
sinosoidal wave, etc... you have two choices:
1- repair the ups
2- replace the ups.

regards

From: philo on

> philo wrote:
>
>> but if the problem was traced to the UPS
>>
>> chances are it was simply not grounded properly
>>
>> better get someone who knows what they are doing
>> to check the wiring etc
> No, AFAIK the earth-leakage -detector works by measuring
> the unbalance between the line and neutral current flow.
> Since the unbalance must be returning via the earth.
> So REMOVING THE EARTH to the UPS & computer circuit
> 'eliminates the problem'. But that's a bodge.
> One needs to fully understand the problem cause
> sequence.
> .
> == TIA.

OK figured it out

A ground fault occurs when the "hot" lead of the mains shorts to the
case of the equipment.

So if there was a power failure there would be no "mains" lead to short
to the cabinet...

So the conclusion is reversed from what has happened

It was a ground fault which *caused* the power interruption.

The UPS simply was on because the "mains" breaker had tripped
From: ArameFarpado on
Em Quinta 07 Janeiro 2010 08:27, no.top.post(a)gmail.com escreveu:

> No, AFAIK the earth-leakage -detector works by measuring
> the unbalance between the line and neutral current flow.
> Since the unbalance must be returning via the earth.
> So REMOVING THE EARTH to the UPS & computer circuit
> 'eliminates the problem'. But that's a bodge.
> One needs to fully understand the problem cause
> sequence.
> .
> == TIA.

if you have electrical questions, it's better to put them in
sci.electronics.basics

i can tell you that if you desconnect the earth, ther will be no more a
neutral in the output, you will have two live lines with a voltage between
them, and that could cause other issues.
From: Joe Pfeiffer on
ArameFarpado <a-farpado.spam(a)netcabo.pt> writes:

> Em Quinta 07 Janeiro 2010 08:27, no.top.post(a)gmail.com escreveu:
>
>> No, AFAIK the earth-leakage -detector works by measuring
>> the unbalance between the line and neutral current flow.
>> Since the unbalance must be returning via the earth.
>> So REMOVING THE EARTH to the UPS & computer circuit
>> 'eliminates the problem'. But that's a bodge.
>> One needs to fully understand the problem cause
>> sequence.
>> .
>> == TIA.
>
> if you have electrical questions, it's better to put them in
> sci.electronics.basics
>

> i can tell you that if you desconnect the earth, ther will be no more a
> neutral in the output, you will have two live lines with a voltage between
> them, and that could cause other issues.

You can tell us anything you want, but if you tell us that you're
wrong. Standard single-phase AC works with a hot line and a neutral
line; neutral and ground are at the same potential. There should not be
any current flowing through ground.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_and_neutral
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11