From: bluds on
Hi,

I'm going to use the compact flash as a store unit. It wouldn't have any
filesystem format. I will copy raw binary data to it starting from the
first sector.

Then the objective is to read this data from the compact and then copy it
to the fpga memory in order to use it to feed my design.

Can somebody give me some references about how should i implement the
compact flash controller. I'm new with FPGA and i don't have too much
idea.

Thanks a lot

---------------------------------------
Posted through http://www.FPGARelated.com
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
bluds <vtescandell(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm going to use the compact flash as a store unit. It wouldn't have any
> filesystem format. I will copy raw binary data to it starting from the
> first sector.

> Then the objective is to read this data from the compact and then copy it
> to the fpga memory in order to use it to feed my design.

> Can somebody give me some references about how should i implement the
> compact flash controller. I'm new with FPGA and i don't have too much
> idea.

One of the modes of CF looks exactly like an IDE disk driver.
A CF to IDE converter can be made with pretty much no logic.

I believe there is also a mode that looks like a RAM.

-- glen
From: bluds on
>bluds <vtescandell(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm going to use the compact flash as a store unit. It wouldn't have
any
>> filesystem format. I will copy raw binary data to it starting from the
>> first sector.
>
>> Then the objective is to read this data from the compact and then copy
it
>> to the fpga memory in order to use it to feed my design.
>
>> Can somebody give me some references about how should i implement the
>> compact flash controller. I'm new with FPGA and i don't have too much
>> idea.
>
>One of the modes of CF looks exactly like an IDE disk driver.
>A CF to IDE converter can be made with pretty much no logic.
>
>I believe there is also a mode that looks like a RAM.
>
>-- glen

What do you refer when you talk about modes??

Do you know anywhere where i can find information about how to access the
compact, because i never used a FPGA and i don't know how to access a
remote device.

Thanks

---------------------------------------
Posted through http://www.FPGARelated.com
From: RCIngham on

>Do you know anywhere where i can find information about how to access the
>compact, because i never used a FPGA and i don't know how to access a
>remote device.

http://www.google.com/search?q=compact+flash+interface&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Are you going to code in Verilog or VHDL?

---------------------------------------
Posted through http://www.FPGARelated.com
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
bluds <vtescandell(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:
(snip, I wrote)

>>One of the modes of CF looks exactly like an IDE disk driver.
>>A CF to IDE converter can be made with pretty much no logic.

>>I believe there is also a mode that looks like a RAM.

> What do you refer when you talk about modes??

You can use CF cards in different ways. It seems that newer
ones even have an SATA mode.

> Do you know anywhere where i can find information about how to access the
> compact, because i never used a FPGA and i don't know how to access a
> remote device.

http://www.compactflash.org/

Newer versions of the standard seem to cost $100.00, though
it says that students can get a copy free. I thought that
older versions were available free, but I don't see that now.

I believe that you can get some information from CF card
manufacturers, too.

-- glen