From: Alessandro on
Hi all,

I guess it's impossible, but I have an old IDE hd (Quantum Sirocco), without
jumpers - so set as Slave - I'd like to read on a motherboard without any
other Master IDE device.

Unofrtunately I can't set it as Master, I don't have a suitable jumper
because it has an odd configuration, not the classical one with the row of 4
couples of pins (in this case I'd have the jumper), but a "strange" row with
3 single pins (???).

Any suggestions ? Apart of course looking for a IDE device to be set as
Master ...

Thanks all
Ale

From: Franc Zabkar on
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 00:49:03 +0200, "Alessandro" <nemo(a)nobody.com> put
finger to keyboard and composed:

>I guess it's impossible, but I have an old IDE hd (Quantum Sirocco), without
>jumpers - so set as Slave - I'd like to read on a motherboard without any
>other Master IDE device.
>
>Unofrtunately I can't set it as Master, I don't have a suitable jumper
>because it has an odd configuration, not the classical one with the row of 4
>couples of pins (in this case I'd have the jumper), but a "strange" row with
>3 single pins (???).

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-drives-hdd/quantum/SIROCCO-1700AT-1700MB-3-5-SL-ATA2-FAST.html

Are you looking at the second DC Power connector beside the 40-pin IDE
connector?

If so, then look instead for the 4x2 header (JP-1) on the PCB.

- Franc Zabkar
From: Paul on
Alessandro wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I guess it's impossible, but I have an old IDE hd (Quantum Sirocco), without
> jumpers - so set as Slave - I'd like to read on a motherboard without any
> other Master IDE device.
>
> Unofrtunately I can't set it as Master, I don't have a suitable jumper
> because it has an odd configuration, not the classical one with the row of 4
> couples of pins (in this case I'd have the jumper), but a "strange" row with
> 3 single pins (???).
>
> Any suggestions ? Apart of course looking for a IDE device to be set as
> Master ...
>
> Thanks all
> Ale

I found this page, but I have no idea what it means. I'd need a picture to
go with this, to figure it out. I suspect you need to look for a "JP1"
legend somewhere on the drive, and then there would be room for three jumpers.
Perhaps JP1 is a 2x4 set of header pins somewhere ? One pair of pins is for
parking a jumper when the jumper is not being used.

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-drives-hdd/quantum/QM-31700AT-SIROCCO-1700MB-3-5-SL-ATA2-FAST.html

Paul
From: Alessandro on

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Alessandro wrote:
>> Hi all,
>
> I found this page, but I have no idea what it means. I'd need a picture to
> go with this, to figure it out. I suspect you need to look for a "JP1"
> legend somewhere on the drive, and then there would be room for three
> jumpers.
> Perhaps JP1 is a 2x4 set of header pins somewhere ? One pair of pins is
> for
> parking a jumper when the jumper is not being used.
>
> http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-drives-hdd/quantum/QM-31700AT-SIROCCO-1700MB-3-5-SL-ATA2-FAST.html

I've discovered that jumpers are on the circuit and not between power cable
and IDE port .. anyway it was already set as Master but I can't view it
either in Windows ot in BIOS.
I've tried also a manual setting in BIOS instead of Auto, defining CHS ... I
can't view it the same!

Any suggestion for this thing ?

Thanks
Ale

From: Paul on
Alessandro wrote:
> "Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Alessandro wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>> I found this page, but I have no idea what it means. I'd need a picture to
>> go with this, to figure it out. I suspect you need to look for a "JP1"
>> legend somewhere on the drive, and then there would be room for three
>> jumpers.
>> Perhaps JP1 is a 2x4 set of header pins somewhere ? One pair of pins is
>> for
>> parking a jumper when the jumper is not being used.
>>
>> http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-drives-hdd/quantum/QM-31700AT-SIROCCO-1700MB-3-5-SL-ATA2-FAST.html
>>

> I've discovered that jumpers are on the circuit and not between power cable
> and IDE port .. anyway it was already set as Master but I can't view it
> either in Windows ot in BIOS.
> I've tried also a manual setting in BIOS instead of Auto, defining CHS ... I
> can't view it the same!
>
> Any suggestion for this thing ?
>
> Thanks
> Ale

How are you setting up the cable ?

Do you have the hard drive connected to the end connector of the cable ?
For a single drive, it should be connected to the end connector, not
the middle one.

Do you have the jumper on DS, but none on the other positions ?

And, is the drive identified in the BIOS ? The BIOS should be
able to read the drive identity information (Like Sirocco or whatever),
by means of probing the drive at power up.

Some motherboards have a timeout timer for the IDE ports. For example,
one of my motherboards could be set to a period of up to 35 seconds
to detect the drive. That long a period is provided, to give the
drive time to load the heads. There were some Hitachi drives that
had problems at startup, and needed as much time as you could give
them.

Also, there is one other obscure detail. The ATA/ATAPI standard has
many UDMA and PIO operating modes. There are a few of the very slowest
modes, which are no longer properly supported on modern motherboards.
It is possible, that a person could connect a disk from a pile of ancient
drives, and manage to mix a drive with only the slowest operating modes,
to a motherboard that cannot set itself up for such. I'll post back later
if I can find an example of this.

Paul