From: dpb on
tholen(a)antispam.ham wrote:

> Too bad there is no native 24-bit integer type in Fortran. ...

Which language(s) do?

From: GaryScott on
On Aug 11, 5:08 pm, dpb <n...(a)non.net> wrote:
> tho...(a)antispam.ham wrote:

> > Too bad there is no native 24-bit integer type in Fortran.  ...
>
> Which language(s) do?
>
> --

Harris H-series VOS FORTRAN 77. Probably no modern languages since
there are no 24-bit word machines any more.
From: Richard Maine on
dpb <none(a)non.net> wrote:

> tholen(a)antispam.ham wrote:
>
> > Too bad there is no native 24-bit integer type in Fortran. ...
>
> Which language(s) do?

Well, Fortran can have such a thing. The language standard doesn't
require it, but then the standard doesn't require any particular size.
The only thing preventing common implementations from doing a 24-bit
integer is the developer's evaluation of the cost/benefit tradeoff
(benefit having a lot to do with user demand). I'd probably tend to
agree with the evident result of that evaluation.

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain
From: Ron Shepard on
In article <i3v77j$e65$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
dpb <none(a)non.net> wrote:

> > Too bad there is no native 24-bit integer type in Fortran. ...
>
> Which language(s) do?

This depends on the hardware. There certainly was 24-bit integer
support in fortran on Harris computers in the 80's, and the reason was
because that is what the hardware supported.

I hear rumors every once in a while from some vendor or from some
compiler writer about implementing arbitrary precision arithmetic into
various compilers (integer, not floating point).

However, the .wav stuff being discussed here seems to be more suited to
bit-string processing. Programmers have always wanted the ability to
efficiently manipulate arbitrary length bit strings in fortran (at least
since the 70's), but the standards committees over the decades have
never agreed on how that should be incorporated. One approach is that
they be like character strings, except that the len=N would mean bits
rather than characters; scalars could be declared with arbitrary sizes,
and arrays could be declared with arbitrary ranks of these scalar
variables. The applications for this functionality would include
popular things like image processing, audio, and video, but also things
like data compression, instrument signals, and telemetry.

Considering some of the sophisticated, abstract stuff that did make it
through the language committees over the years (not just in fortran, but
other languages too), it is sort of surprising that something as
"simple" as bit-string processing hasn't made it into any of the popular
languages. On the other hand, it took 13 years (f77 to f90) before even
bit operators on integers were standardized in fortran, despite the fact
that the mil-std document on which that part of the f90 standard was
based was published in 1978 immediately after the f77 standard was
approved.

$.02 -Ron Shepard
From: GaryScott on
On Aug 11, 5:52 pm, Ron Shepard <ron-shep...(a)NOSPAM.comcast.net>
wrote:
> In article <i3v77j$e6...(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
>
>  dpb <n...(a)non.net> wrote:
> > > Too bad there is no native 24-bit integer type in Fortran.  ...
>
> > Which language(s) do?
>
> This depends on the hardware.  There certainly was 24-bit integer
> support in fortran on Harris computers in the 80's, and the reason was
> because that is what the hardware supported.
>
> I hear rumors every once in a while from some vendor or from some
> compiler writer about implementing arbitrary precision arithmetic into
> various compilers (integer, not floating point).
>
> However, the .wav stuff being discussed here seems to be more suited to
> bit-string processing.  Programmers have always wanted the ability to
> efficiently manipulate arbitrary length bit strings in fortran (at least
> since the 70's), but the standards committees over the decades have
> never agreed on how that should be incorporated.  One approach is that
> they be like character strings, except that the len=N would mean bits
> rather than characters; scalars could be declared with arbitrary sizes,
> and arrays could be declared with arbitrary ranks of these scalar
> variables.  The applications for this functionality would include
> popular things like image processing, audio, and video, but also things
> like data compression, instrument signals, and telemetry.
>
> Considering some of the sophisticated, abstract stuff that did make it
> through the language committees over the years (not just in fortran, but
> other languages too), it is sort of surprising that something as
> "simple" as bit-string processing hasn't made it into any of the popular
> languages.  On the other hand, it took 13 years (f77 to f90) before even
> bit operators on integers were standardized in fortran, despite the fact
> that the mil-std document on which that part of the f90 standard was
> based was published in 1978 immediately after the f77 standard was
> approved.
>
> $.02 -Ron Shepard

Not only "surprising"...but annoying...dealing with bit strings or
arbitrarily defined types (e.g. 11 bit integers) is in 90 percent of
the data processing I have to deal with.