From: Uno on
Sjouke Burry wrote:
> Mohammed Anwer wrote:
>> This may already have been answer many times on this forum. Can anyone
>> point me to an example program that reads/writes an audio .wav file?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
> I have one in C, not fortran.
> If you want it, yell.
> Or change my email adress and mail me.

I'd like that. I don't see your e-mail.
--
Uno
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
tholen(a)antispam.ham wrote:
(snip)

> Not too surprising, considering that the CD standard is 16-bit
> 44.1 kHz data. But as flash memory prices continue to plummet,
> I think the days of spinning media are numbered. When they can
> get the cost of a 32 GB SDHC card down to the cost of a BluRay
> disc, why distribute an HD movie on BluRay? The SDHC card is
> smaller and impervious to the scratches on the optical surface
> (because it doesn't have one!).

But they are sensitive to some electrical surges, which could
wipe out the data. There are currently flash ram drives in
internal disk drive form factor, but much more expensive
(per byte) than rotating disks.

CD, DVD, and I believe Blu-ray, can usually be repolished to
get the scratches off. That is, for the ones it can't read
through with the error correcting code.

It seems to me that if you want to mass produce solid state
prerecorded storage, then something like mask ROM would be
a better choice than a form of RAM. I haven't followed mask
ROM technology lately, though.

-- glen
From: Sjouke Burry on
Uno wrote:
> Sjouke Burry wrote:
>> Mohammed Anwer wrote:
>>> This may already have been answer many times on this forum. Can anyone
>>> point me to an example program that reads/writes an audio .wav file?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>> I have one in C, not fortran.
>> If you want it, yell.
>> Or change my email adress and mail me.
>

> I'd like that. I don't see your e-mail.

download from my site:

http://home.planet.nl/~burry004/wav.zip.

Original code from the net, Copyright (c) David Welch, 1993
My email adres is(obfuscated) in the header.
From: Tonton Th on
On 08/12/2010 01:30 AM, tholen(a)antispam.ham wrote:

> But I've jumped through the hoops and have Fortran code that can
> read a WAV file with 24-bit samples, storing the data in memory
> using 32-bit integers. What I have yet to write is code that
> can take those 32-bit integers, after some editing, and create a
> WAV file with 24-bit integers (or 16-bits, if writing to CD is
> the intent).

If you can link with a C library, you can try this one :
http://mega-nerd.com/libsndfile/ who is very efficient and
can read/write a _lot_ of sound files.

--
Et pendant ce temps-l�, dans les plaines de Russie...

From: tholen on
glen herrmannsfeldt <gah(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> writes:

>> Not too surprising, considering that the CD standard is 16-bit
>> 44.1 kHz data. But as flash memory prices continue to plummet,
>> I think the days of spinning media are numbered. When they can
>> get the cost of a 32 GB SDHC card down to the cost of a BluRay
>> disc, why distribute an HD movie on BluRay? The SDHC card is
>> smaller and impervious to the scratches on the optical surface
>> (because it doesn't have one!).

> But they are sensitive to some electrical surges, which could
> wipe out the data.

No storage medium is perfect. Plain old paper has certain
advantages for written material. But every time I encounter
a DVD player struggling to read a DVD (and it happens more
often than you might expect), I think to myself that there
has to be a better way. So far, SD cards have been more
reliable for me.

> There are currently flash ram drives in
> internal disk drive form factor, but much more expensive
> (per byte) than rotating disks.

There usually is a premium to pay for the newest technology.
SSD is generally much faster than spinning media. Pundits
are currently raving about Intel's X25-E, but even that pales
in comparison to what Pliant has. Then again, Pliant's products
are vastly more expensive than the Intel X25-E.

> CD, DVD, and I believe Blu-ray, can usually be repolished to
> get the scratches off. That is, for the ones it can't read
> through with the error correcting code.

As long as the polycarbonate isn't thinned too much, considering
that it's part of the optical system.

> It seems to me that if you want to mass produce solid state
> prerecorded storage, then something like mask ROM would be
> a better choice than a form of RAM. I haven't followed mask
> ROM technology lately, though.

Neither have I.