From: Randy Poe on

Rod Gramlich wrote:
> I can see how this sill work (i.e. appending a vector)-

Yet it does, I do it all the time for generating plots
which change in real time.

Oh sorry, I see that you are saying you see how it works,
not that you can't see how it works.

> and I guess
> the bottom line is that MATLAB doesn't have any equivalent to 'C'
> .... i.e. plot (x,y), follwed by subsequent line_to(x,y) [as you add
> points / samples]. I find it peculiar that MATLAB doesn't have such a
> capability.

Yet it has an equivalent capability, which I was exploiting.

Matlab is array-oriented. Two of the properties of a
line are the 'xdata' array and the 'ydata' array. Change
those arrays and you will change the content of the
plot. You also need the "drawnow" so that the plot is
redrawn to reflect the changed properties.

In a sense it is exactly the same as what you are
talking about, because as soon as you add a new element
to these arrays, the line is automatically extended
to include the new element. And there's no "plot" or
"line_to" inherent in the C language anyway. Apparently
these are calls in some library you have used in the
past, but there's no graphics standard in standard C.
I've never seen these calls, though it's obvious what
the usage is from your description.

You certainly could create new lines each time you
added a data point, from your old point to your new
one. This would create N line objects, each of which
contains 2 data points. The method I suggest is
much cleaner and quicker.

- Randy

From: Steve Amphlett on
Randy Poe wrote:

<snip>

> You certainly could create new lines each time you
> added a data point, from your old point to your new
> one. This would create N line objects, each of which
> contains 2 data points. The method I suggest is
> much cleaner and quicker.

What I often do is to 'preallocate' my plot by plotting a vector of
NaN vs NaN that doesn't show. Then replace the NaNs with computed
values as they appear.
From: Randy Poe on

From: Rod Gramlich on
Steve Amphlett wrote:

> Uh? What version of 'C' are you using? I don't recall any
> functions
> like that in any of the ANSI standards.

Borland C. Just add an ANSI driver in DOS to allow graphics (Turbo C)
commands. Line(x1,y1,x2,y2) draws a line from x1y1 to x2y2.
Lineto(x,y) draws a line from LAST x,y coordinate to x,y coordinate
in lineto(x,y).
From: Steve Amphlett on
Rod Gramlich wrote:

> Steve Amphlett wrote:
>>
>> Uh? What version of 'C' are you using? I don't recall any
>> functions
>> like that in any of the ANSI standards.
>
> Borland C. Just add an ANSI driver in DOS to allow graphics (Turbo
> C)
> commands. Line(x1,y1,x2,y2) draws a line from x1y1 to x2y2.
> Lineto(x,y) draws a line from LAST x,y coordinate to x,y coordinate
> in lineto(x,y).

Try posting that kind of talk in comp.lang.c !
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: where to find libmatlb.h?
Next: Reading AVI files.