From: Odie Ferrous on
Does anyone have any actual, real world experience of the difference in
speed between the two?

Is the difference immediately noticeable, or does it require the use of
a stopwatch capable of millisecond timing?

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk
From: Ron Reaugh on

"Odie Ferrous" <odie_ferrous(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone have any actual, real world experience of the difference in
> speed between the two?

Rephrase your question. I suspect you realize how naive it is on the
surface. Are you just trolling? Obviously the answer is that SATA 150
bursts at very close to half the speed of SATA 300 but neither have much to
do with the speed of a HD itself.

> Is the difference immediately noticeable, or does it require the use of
> a stopwatch capable of millisecond timing?

There are a number of sites that have hard drive benchmarks posted. You'll
find that SATA 300 HDs give about the same benchmark results when connected
to an SATA 150 only controller for a single user workstation loads.

From: Odie Ferrous on
Ron Reaugh wrote:

> "Odie Ferrous" <odie_ferrous(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Does anyone have any actual, real world experience of the difference in
> > speed between the two?
>
> Rephrase your question.

I think a twelve-year-old would understand my question without resorting
to facetious comments.

> I suspect you realize how naive it is on the
> surface. Are you just trolling? Obviously the answer is that SATA 150
> bursts at very close to half the speed of SATA 300 but neither have much to
> do with the speed of a HD itself.
>
> > Is the difference immediately noticeable, or does it require the use of
> > a stopwatch capable of millisecond timing?
>
> There are a number of sites that have hard drive benchmarks posted. You'll
> find that SATA 300 HDs give about the same benchmark results when connected
> to an SATA 150 only controller for a single user workstation loads.

I think most people would have understood I meant the SATA 150 drive
being on a SATA 150 controller, and the SATA 300 being on a SATA 300
controller.

I suppose I have to apologise for your lack of intuition?

You clearly have no "real world" experience of this particular subject,
so please don't bother commenting.

Odie
From: Ron Reaugh on

> Ron Reaugh wrote:
>>
>> "Odie Ferrous" <odie_ferrous(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Does anyone have any actual, real world experience of the difference in
>> > speed between the two?
>>
>> Rephrase your question.
>
> I think a twelve-year-old would understand my question without resorting
> to facetious comments.
>

>> I suspect you realize how naive it is on the
>> surface. Are you just trolling? Obviously the answer is that SATA 150
>> bursts at very close to half the speed of SATA 300 but neither have much
>> do with the speed of a HD itself.
>>
>> > Is the difference immediately noticeable, or does it require the use of
>> > a stopwatch capable of millisecond timing?
>>
>> There are a number of sites that have hard drive benchmarks posted.
>> You'll
>> find that SATA 300 HDs give about the same benchmark results when
>> connected
>> to an SATA 150 only controller for a single user workstation loads.
>

> I think most people would have understood I meant the SATA 150 drive
> being on a SATA 150 controller, and the SATA 300 being on a SATA 300
> controller.

It is precisely clear that is what you meant and also precisely is what
demonstrated your naivety, Either a SATA150 or SATA300 HD will give rather
close to the same performance whether connected to an SATA150 or SATA300
controller in single user workstation usage. SATA150 vs SATA300 isn't
relevant. Particular HD models are relevant.

> I suppose I have to apologise for your lack of intuition?
>
> You clearly have no "real world" experience of this particular subject,
> so please don't bother commenting.

Obviously the opposite is true. Check out some benchmarks.

From: Odie Ferrous on
Ron Reaugh wrote:

<snip>

> Either a SATA150 or SATA300 HD will give rather close to the same
> performance whether connected to an SATA150 or SATA300
> controller in single user workstation usage. SATA150 vs SATA300 isn't
> relevant. Particular HD models are relevant.

Why not just say this in the first place? Simple (that figures),
succinct and to the point.

Grief - talk about walking around in circles.

Besides, from your behaviour I wouldn't believe you if you told me the
earth was approximately round.

I'm hardly likely to have much faith in your ability to differentiate
between SATA I and II.

Thanks anyway - it must have been an effort for you.

Odie