From: Helmut Schneider on
G8KBV wrote:

> In at the deep end, total noob is me.
>
> FreeBSD V8.0.
>
> I'm trying to follow the instructions at:-
> http://blog.doylenet.net/?p=145
>
> Due to my ISP's ineptitude, I could only download the "Boot" cd ISO
> immage, and have had to create this thing letting it download what it
> needed via FTP from one of the UK mirrors.
>
> So far so good (if after three attempts, due to my inexperience and
> some 'interesting' configuration menu behaviour, eventualy getting
> FreeBSD loaded and running) I'm at the stage of enabling PPS support
> in the kernel.
>
> But....
>
> After successfully adding 'options PPS_SYNC' to the PPSGENERIC file,
> at the end of the other options declerations (using vim!) And
> checking it's 'stuck' in there. (It has.)
>
> When I 'make buildkernel KENRCONF=PPSGENERIC'

Did you try "make clean"? Where do you have the sources from?

--
No Swen today, my love has gone away
My mailbox stands for lorn, a symbol of the dawn
From: Bob Eager on
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 00:01:02 +0100, G8KBV wrote:

> In article <82k4g6F1o2U1(a)mid.individual.net>, rde42(a)spamcop.net says...
>>
>> On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 21:54:29 +0100, G8KBV wrote:
>>
>> > When I 'make buildkernel KENRCONF=PPSGENERIC'
>> >
>> > Nowt happens, except a short error message to the effect that it
>> > doesnt know how to build the kernel.
>>
>> You did do 'cd /usr/src' first, didn't you?
>
> :)
>
> Yes I did, but you are right to ask.

What can you see in that directory? Is there a Makefile and a load of
directories? If not, you haven't installed the sources.

They're in a directory on the CD (usually RELEASE-something) and there's
an install script. Have a look at that to check the right argument to
give it (I don't have it handy).

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

From: G8KBV on
In article <MPG.262f94de2fcd5407989688(a)aioe.org>,
dave(a)g8kbv.removethis.demon.co.uk says...

> In article <slrnhsa04m.1ei4.wblock(a)lightning.wonkity.com>,
> wblock(a)wonkity.com says...
> >
> > G8KBV <dave(a)g8kbv.removethis.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > > In article <82k4g6F1o2U1(a)mid.individual.net>, rde42(a)spamcop.net says...

> > >:)
> > >
> > > Yes I did, but you are right to ask.
> >
> > Where did you put the PPSGENERIC file?
> >
> > It's hard to diagnose vague messages; you can use script(1) to save the
> > output of a session.
>
> it's in the same place as GENERIC. I just did a:-
>
> cp GENERIC PPSGENERIC
>
> as per instructions.
>
> Dave B.

I might have some progress on this. More news later. It seems to be
compiling now.

I missed something in the instructions, as you do, when it's late and
the eyes are going.

Dave B.
From: G8KBV on
In article <MPG.263052a95366607098968b(a)aioe.org>,
dave(a)g8kbv.removethis.demon.co.uk says...

> In article <MPG.262f94de2fcd5407989688(a)aioe.org>,
> dave(a)g8kbv.removethis.demon.co.uk says...
> >
> > In article <slrnhsa04m.1ei4.wblock(a)lightning.wonkity.com>,
> > wblock(a)wonkity.com says...

> > > Where did you put the PPSGENERIC file?
> > >
> > > It's hard to diagnose vague messages; you can use script(1) to save the
> > > output of a session.
> >
> > it's in the same place as GENERIC. I just did a:-
> >
> > cp GENERIC PPSGENERIC
> >
> > as per instructions.
> >
> > Dave B.
>
> I might have some progress on this. More news later. It seems to be
> compiling now.
>
> I missed something in the instructions, as you do, when it's late and
> the eyes are going.
>
> Dave B.

Success! It all works now.

Due to the way the web page of instructions printed, one critical line
of text was mangled, so I didn't download and install all the needed
sources and associated baggage. On re-reading the page, and printing
again, the missing stuff was found and the system built itself OK.

So far, so good. But due to some minor hardware USB funny (very little
power available, unless some true USB thing has been inserted and
removed) the intended GPS (RS232 based) wont work just now, I intend to
use the soon to be redundant PS2 mouse port for a 5V power source.

At the moment, its synching with a collection of uk.pool servers just
fine, (in as much as my ISP will let it.)

The ability of FreeBSD to boot and run the NTP system and service with
no user intervention, and also cleanly exit everything and shut down,
all initatied by the front panel power button, is very nice. Almost an
"Appliance", just what I wanted.

Thanks to everyone, especialy he who commented on what was visible in
(or not!) the /usr directory. That was the clue.

Cheers.

Dave B.