From: G8KBV on
Hi.

In at the deep end, total noob is me.

FreeBSD V8.0.

I'm trying to follow the instructions at:-
http://blog.doylenet.net/?p=145

Due to my ISP's ineptitude, I could only download the "Boot" cd ISO
immage, and have had to create this thing letting it download what it
needed via FTP from one of the UK mirrors.

So far so good (if after three attempts, due to my inexperience and some
'interesting' configuration menu behaviour, eventualy getting FreeBSD
loaded and running) I'm at the stage of enabling PPS support in the
kernel.

But....

After successfully adding 'options PPS_SYNC' to the PPSGENERIC file, at
the end of the other options declerations (using vim!) And checking
it's 'stuck' in there. (It has.)

When I 'make buildkernel KENRCONF=PPSGENERIC'

Nowt happens, except a short error message to the effect that it doesnt
know how to build the kernel.

Err, what!????

I did have to go back into sysinstall this evening, to download and
install the system sources, but after that, right up to the make
buildkernel (etc) command, all had gone in essance as described in that
blog.

So, what's missing, and where how can I get it.

Regards.

Dave B. Fire extinguisher, tin hat, coat etc at the ready.
From: Bob Eager on
On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 21:54:29 +0100, G8KBV wrote:

> When I 'make buildkernel KENRCONF=PPSGENERIC'
>
> Nowt happens, except a short error message to the effect that it doesnt
> know how to build the kernel.

You did do 'cd /usr/src' first, didn't you?
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

From: G8KBV on
In article <82k4g6F1o2U1(a)mid.individual.net>, rde42(a)spamcop.net says...

> On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 21:54:29 +0100, G8KBV wrote:
>
> > When I 'make buildkernel KENRCONF=PPSGENERIC'
> >
> > Nowt happens, except a short error message to the effect that it doesnt
> > know how to build the kernel.
>
> You did do 'cd /usr/src' first, didn't you?

:)

Yes I did, but you are right to ask.

Late here.

Nite nite.

Dave B.

From: Warren Block on
G8KBV <dave(a)g8kbv.removethis.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <82k4g6F1o2U1(a)mid.individual.net>, rde42(a)spamcop.net says...
>>
>> On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 21:54:29 +0100, G8KBV wrote:
>>
>> > When I 'make buildkernel KENRCONF=PPSGENERIC'
>> >
>> > Nowt happens, except a short error message to the effect that it doesnt
>> > know how to build the kernel.
>>
>> You did do 'cd /usr/src' first, didn't you?
>
>:)
>
> Yes I did, but you are right to ask.

Where did you put the PPSGENERIC file?

It's hard to diagnose vague messages; you can use script(1) to save the
output of a session.

From: G8KBV on
In article <slrnhsa04m.1ei4.wblock(a)lightning.wonkity.com>,
wblock(a)wonkity.com says...

> G8KBV <dave(a)g8kbv.removethis.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> >> You did do 'cd /usr/src' first, didn't you?
> >
> >:)
> >
> > Yes I did, but you are right to ask.
>
> Where did you put the PPSGENERIC file?
>
> It's hard to diagnose vague messages; you can use script(1) to save the
> output of a session.

it's in the same place as GENERIC. I just did a:-

cp GENERIC PPSGENERIC

as per instructions.

Dave B.