From: Yousuf Khan on
JimR wrote:
> I am looking for a 1 TB HDD to go into my Dell PowerEdge 400SC, which I
> use as a general purpose desktop running Mandriva Linux.This is to
> replace an existing ST3400633 SATA drive. The old drive is working
> fine, but is about 3 years old, so I want to pre-emptively replace it.

Well, I don't think you need to replace it, you can often keep both hard
drives in most desktop systems. I don't know anything specific about
that Dell system, though. The 1TB can supplement the 400GB, or vice-versa.

> I am thinking of the WD Caviar Green ($84.99 at Newegg) or Black
> ($99.99). Does anybody have a strong opinion on either of these?

I have had two pairs of 640GB WD Caviar Blacks at one time, and they
both suffered from SMART errors within days or weeks of installing them.
However, that could have been due to an underpowered power supply in
my system at the time. The PS has been since upgraded. Yet, my other
drives in the system ran fine for years at the same time on that PS. I
typically have between 2 to 4 internal hard drives running in my system
at the same time, so I'm an extreme case. So they might be susceptible
to power issues more than other drives.

To WD's credit, they replaced both drives through their RMA process, no
hassles.

I currently have two 1TB drives on my system. One is my Windows & Linux
boot drive, which is a Hitachi. I also have a second external 1TB drive,
which came with a Seagate internally when I bought it. Both have been
reliable so far.

> Also, I see the current crop of drives are "SATA-3". Is that liable to
> cause me any compatibility problems? The SATA connector is on the
> mainboard. The hardware configuration reports the following:

The SATA-3 connector is exactly the same as the SATA-1 & -2 connectors.
Just a faster speed grade available. Just like there is no problem for
SATA-2 drives to run on SATA-1 motherboards, I don't anticipate SATA-3
to have any problem running at slower speeds either.

Yousuf Khan
From: Cronos on
Rod Speed wrote:

> I prefer Samsungs myself and the 1.5TB is currently best value.

You've been recommending Samsung for donkeys years now. I've bought
Samsung in the past and they are good but they are no better than the
last 3 WD Black HDDs I have bought either.
From: Cronos on
JimR wrote:

> I am thinking of the WD Caviar Green ($84.99 at Newegg) or Black
> ($99.99). Does anybody have a strong opinion on either of these?

WD Black are highly rated and popular with hardware enthusiasts. My last
3 HDD purchases have been WD Black and have had no issues with them. YMMV.
From: iws on
"JimR" <NoNotReally(a)notmyemail.com> wrote in message
|I am looking for a 1 TB HDD to go into my Dell PowerEdge 400SC, which I
| use as a general purpose desktop running Mandriva Linux.This is to
| replace an existing ST3400633 SATA drive. The old drive is working
| fine, but is about 3 years old, so I want to pre-emptively replace it.
|
| I am thinking of the WD Caviar Green ($84.99 at Newegg) or Black
| ($99.99). Does anybody have a strong opinion on either of these?

Frys has a 2 TB Hitachi (retail version) for only $150 if you've got a bit
more to spend http://www.frys.com/product/5613901 Pick it up at a Frys store
and save on shipping. Hitachi drives seem to get good ratings and have shed
the infamous DeathStar moniker left over from IBM.