From: JimR on
I am looking for a 1 TB HDD to go into my Dell PowerEdge 400SC, which I
use as a general purpose desktop running Mandriva Linux.This is to
replace an existing ST3400633 SATA drive. The old drive is working
fine, but is about 3 years old, so I want to pre-emptively replace it.

I am thinking of the WD Caviar Green ($84.99 at Newegg) or Black
($99.99). Does anybody have a strong opinion on either of these?

Also, I see the current crop of drives are "SATA-3". Is that liable to
cause me any compatibility problems? The SATA connector is on the
mainboard. The hardware configuration reports the following:
Identification
Vendor: ‎Intel Corporation

Media class: ‎IDE interface

Connection
Bus: ‎PCI

PCI domain: ‎0

Bus PCI #: ‎0

PCI device #: ‎31

PCI function #: ‎2

PCI revision: ‎0x02

Vendor ID: ‎0x8086

Device ID: ‎0x24d1

Sub vendor ID: ‎0x1028

Sub device ID: ‎0x0162

Misc
Module: ‎ata_piix

Thanks,
JimR
From: Rod Speed on
JimR wrote:

> I am looking for a 1 TB HDD to go into my Dell PowerEdge 400SC, which
> I use as a general purpose desktop running Mandriva Linux.This is to
> replace an existing ST3400633 SATA drive. The old drive is working
> fine, but is about 3 years old, so I want to pre-emptively replace it.

> I am thinking of the WD Caviar Green ($84.99 at Newegg) or Black
> ($99.99). Does anybody have a strong opinion on either of these?

The greens can have problems in some systems. Not completely clear what the
problem is yet, it appears to shut down and the system doesnt notice or something.

I prefer Samsungs myself and the 1.5TB is currently best value.

> Also, I see the current crop of drives are "SATA-3". Is that liable to cause me any compatibility problems?

Nope.

From: mike on
JimR wrote:
> I am looking for a 1 TB HDD to go into my Dell PowerEdge 400SC, which I
> use as a general purpose desktop running Mandriva Linux.This is to
> replace an existing ST3400633 SATA drive. The old drive is working
> fine, but is about 3 years old, so I want to pre-emptively replace it.
>
> I am thinking of the WD Caviar Green ($84.99 at Newegg) or Black
> ($99.99). Does anybody have a strong opinion on either of these?

I strongly opine that you should be able to get 50% more drive
for that money. If you're not in a hurry, hang out at bensbargains.net
or fatwallet.

From: mscotgrove on
On Jan 21, 11:53 am, mike <spam...(a)go.com> wrote:
> JimR wrote:
> > I am looking for a 1 TB HDD to go into my Dell PowerEdge 400SC, which I
> > use as a general purpose desktop running Mandriva Linux.This is to
> > replace an existing ST3400633 SATA drive.  The old drive is working
> > fine, but is about 3 years old, so I want to pre-emptively replace it.
>
> > I am thinking of the WD Caviar Green ($84.99 at Newegg) or Black
> > ($99.99).  Does anybody have a strong opinion on either of these?
>
> I strongly opine that you should be able to get 50% more drive
> for that money.  If you're not in a hurry, hang out at bensbargains.net
> or fatwallet.
>

> > Also, I see the current crop of drives are "SATA-3".  Is that liable to
> > cause me any compatibility problems?  The SATA connector is on the
> > mainboard. The hardware configuration reports the following:
> > Identification
> > Vendor: ‎Intel Corporation

> > Media class: ‎IDE interface
>
> > Connection
> > Bus: ‎PCI
>
> > PCI domain: ‎0
>
> > Bus PCI #: ‎0
>
> > PCI device #: ‎31
>
> > PCI function #: ‎2
>
> > PCI revision: ‎0x02
>
> > Vendor ID: ‎0x8086
>
> > Device ID: ‎0x24d1
>
> > Sub vendor ID: ‎0x1028
>
> > Sub device ID: ‎0x0162
>
> > Misc
> > Module: ‎ata_piix
>
> > Thanks,
> > JimR- Hide quoted text -

I've used WD Greens in a simple RAID-5, and a PC without any
problems. Being 5400 rpm they may not as fast, but they do remain
cool.

I've just bought some 1.5TB WD Greens (about £90 in UK), but too
early to say if reliable

Michael
From: Neill Massello on
mscotgrove(a)aol.com <mscotgrove(a)aol.com> wrote:

> I've just bought some 1.5TB WD Greens (about �90 in UK), but too
> early to say if reliable

I've had some in service since October. No problems yet.