From: C. on
Hi all,

Usually I groan whenever I see someone asking what is the best Linux
distro, and now I find myself doing it!

To make things a bit easier though, some stuff to give you some hints:

Must have compiz
come with a media player which will play DVDs (I don't mind having to
download the codecs provided its fairly simple to set up)

It'd be nice to be optimized for laptop usage (I don't mind running
down the batteries drawing fancy pictures, but not keeping the HD
spinning while its not doing anything useful). Good ACPI support,
optimized start up, hibernate etc.

I quite like KDE (but don't like dolphin)

A solid Wine instalaltion would be nice.

Must have as much eye-candy as possible!

Primarily will be used by my daughter for word-processing, web
browsing, emailing, watching DVDs.

She's complaining because her old laptop (a 10 year old HP with
PCLinuxOS running on it) died and her new laptop (with lots of memory,
HD and CPU + MSVista) goes so much slower!

TIA

C.
From: John Taylor on
On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 07:59:22 -0700, C. wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Usually I groan whenever I see someone asking what is the best Linux
> distro, and now I find myself doing it!
>
> To make things a bit easier though, some stuff to give you some hints:
>
> Must have compiz
> come with a media player which will play DVDs (I don't mind having to
> download the codecs provided its fairly simple to set up)
>
> It'd be nice to be optimized for laptop usage (I don't mind running down
> the batteries drawing fancy pictures, but not keeping the HD spinning
> while its not doing anything useful). Good ACPI support, optimized start
> up, hibernate etc.
>
> I quite like KDE (but don't like dolphin)
>
> A solid Wine instalaltion would be nice.
>
> Must have as much eye-candy as possible!
>
> Primarily will be used by my daughter for word-processing, web browsing,
> emailing, watching DVDs.

I'd recommend Mint.
Its based on Ubuntu but has the bugs fixed and all the media stuff that
you might expect, but don't get with Ubuntu.

My son just tried with Kubuntu (9.04) recently, but after several hours
trying to get wireless working, we gave up.

Having read several good reports on here in the past, we installed Mint
(Gloria) - worked first time ! Needed no fiddling - just works out of the
box - why can't ubuntu be like that ?

JohnT

From: Geoff Clements on
John Taylor wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 07:59:22 -0700, C. wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Usually I groan whenever I see someone asking what is the best Linux
>> distro, and now I find myself doing it!
>>
>> To make things a bit easier though, some stuff to give you some hints:
>>
>> Must have compiz
>> come with a media player which will play DVDs (I don't mind having to
>> download the codecs provided its fairly simple to set up)
>>
>> It'd be nice to be optimized for laptop usage (I don't mind running down
>> the batteries drawing fancy pictures, but not keeping the HD spinning
>> while its not doing anything useful). Good ACPI support, optimized start
>> up, hibernate etc.
>>
>> I quite like KDE (but don't like dolphin)
>>
>> A solid Wine instalaltion would be nice.
>>
>> Must have as much eye-candy as possible!
>>
>> Primarily will be used by my daughter for word-processing, web browsing,
>> emailing, watching DVDs.
>>

> I'd recommend Mint.

I've got Mint on a virtual machine at present and it sure does look pretty,
however I much prefer the looks of KDE4.x over Gnome but I suppose it's a
matter of personal taste.

I think most mainstream distros. will let you choose any desktop you want so
it's really a question of desktops rather than distributions.

--
Geoff
From: alexd on
C. wrote:

> I quite like KDE (but don't like dolphin)

The good news is that whilst Dolphin is an installation requirement,
Konqueror still works fine as a file manager.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
20:42:59 up 23 days, 22:33, 7 users, load average: 0.09, 0.19, 0.15

From: Kizito Birabwa on

"Geoff Clements" <bitbucket(a)electron.me.uk> wrote in message
> John Taylor wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 07:59:22 -0700, C. wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Usually I groan whenever I see someone asking what is the best Linux
>>> distro, and now I find myself doing it!
>>>
>>> To make things a bit easier though, some stuff to give you some hints:
>>>
>>> Must have compiz
>>> come with a media player which will play DVDs (I don't mind having to
>>> download the codecs provided its fairly simple to set up)
>>>
>>> It'd be nice to be optimized for laptop usage (I don't mind running down
>>> the batteries drawing fancy pictures, but not keeping the HD spinning
>>> while its not doing anything useful). Good ACPI support, optimized start
>>> up, hibernate etc.
>>>
>>> I quite like KDE (but don't like dolphin)
>>>
>>> A solid Wine instalaltion would be nice.
>>>
>>> Must have as much eye-candy as possible!
>>>
>>> Primarily will be used by my daughter for word-processing, web browsing,
>>> emailing, watching DVDs.
>>>

>> I'd recommend Mint.
>
> I've got Mint on a virtual machine at present and it sure does look
> pretty,
> however I much prefer the looks of KDE4.x over Gnome but I suppose it's a
> matter of personal taste.
>
> I think most mainstream distros. will let you choose any desktop you want
> so
> it's really a question of desktops rather than distributions.
>
> --
> Geoff

"...however I much prefer the looks of KDE4.x over Gnome .."
Then you need Mint 7 KDE edition :-)