From: Gordon on
Anyone managed to do this? I have shared folders in Win 7 but my Ubuntu
machine won't connect. It just reverts to the log-in screen all the time.
From: Gordon on
Paul Martin wrote:
> In article <7hna2oF2upd7fU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
> Gordon wrote:
>> Anyone managed to do this? I have shared folders in Win 7 but my Ubuntu
>> machine won't connect. It just reverts to the log-in screen all the time.
>
> What are you currently trying to do that causes it to "revert to the
> login screen"?

Just the normal "connect to" in the Networking window.
XP works OK.
I have just heard that there may be a bug with Samba and Windows 7....
From: Frank Peelo on
Gordon wrote:
> Paul Martin wrote:
>> In article <7hna2oF2upd7fU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
>> Gordon wrote:
>>> Anyone managed to do this? I have shared folders in Win 7 but my
>>> Ubuntu machine won't connect. It just reverts to the log-in screen
>>> all the time.
>>
>> What are you currently trying to do that causes it to "revert to the
>> login screen"?
>>

> Just the normal "connect to" in the Networking window.
> XP works OK.
> I have just heard that there may be a bug with Samba and Windows 7....

This lunchtime I saw this:

http://itworld.com/security/78261/microsoft-says-turn-windows-feature-protect-windows

except for not being compatible with Samba.

- Vista and Win7 use SMB2. Which would be your problem.

- Also, it seems that there is a big SMB2 security hole, for which no
fix is available; the solution is to disable SMB2.

- But, Vista and Win7 also have SMB. So if you disable SMB2, then the
Win7 machine will start working properly (i.e. connect to
non-Vista/Win7 machines) again!

I don't have access to Vista or Win7. But from the article, it looks
like disabling SMB2 would be the way to go.

FP

From: Gordon on
Frank Peelo wrote:
> Gordon wrote:
>> Paul Martin wrote:
>>>
>>> What are you currently trying to do that causes it to "revert to the
>>> login screen"?
>>>

>> Just the normal "connect to" in the Networking window.
>> XP works OK.
>> I have just heard that there may be a bug with Samba and Windows 7....
>
> This lunchtime I saw this:
>
> http://itworld.com/security/78261/microsoft-says-turn-windows-feature-protect-windows

> except for not being compatible with Samba.
>
> - Vista and Win7 use SMB2. Which would be your problem.
>
> - Also, it seems that there is a big SMB2 security hole, for which no
> fix is available; the solution is to disable SMB2.
>
> - But, Vista and Win7 also have SMB. So if you disable SMB2, then the
> Win7 machine will start working properly (i.e. connect to
> non-Vista/Win7 machines) again!
>
> I don't have access to Vista or Win7. But from the article, it looks
> like disabling SMB2 would be the way to go.
>
> FP

Tried disabling SMB2 - no difference.