From: Boris on
"RnR" <rnrtexas(a)gmail.com> wrote in

> On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 15:21:29 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa
> <pheeh.zero(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Few, if any, external hard drives have a fan, because:
>>> 1- an external hard drive is not mounted in close proximity to other
>>> heat-producing devices (as is the case with an internal hard drive);
>>> 2- including a fan would make require a separate power cable; and
>>> 3- the case of an external drive is not designed to muffle the sound
>>> of a fan.
>>>
>>> Nevertheless, if you prefer a fan, there are hard drive enclosures
>>> that include a fan.
>>>
>>> Daddy
>>
>>I would only add...if you get the 2.5 HDD in a small aluminum
>>housing...it can dissipate heat very well.
>

> Right Bob and I have one. No problems so far and it's very light...
> almost too light.

I'll second that. I mount my external drives in Vantec aluminum
enclosures. They work very well, and don't heat up.
From: Ben Myers on
On 3/1/2010 6:49 PM, William R. Walsh wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I would strongly advise you not to buy a WD My Book hard disk drive of any
> type. They are loading this so-called SmartWare on them and making it
> impossible to remove on some models (USB/Firewire studio). (It's actually
> impossible to remove it at all, according to them, but you can at least
> "hide" it on USB only models.)
>
> I brought this to their attention four months ago, and was assured that they
> were "working on a solution". They have not budged a bit, and what's more
> than that, they have not updated their web site to accurately reflect the
> fact that you can't remove SmartWare from a Studio edition drive. This sort
> of incompetence on their part is inexcusable, and suggests that their
> product engineers don't have a clue.
>
> That said, if you are concerned about heat, buy an aluminum enclosure (the
> Vantec NexStar 3 is very nice) and put your own drive in it. The enclosure
> will act as a very effective heatsink, and that is much more reliable than
> cheap little fans that soon go bad.
>
> To drive heat consumption down further, consider a low-RPM drive such as the
> Samsung Ecogreen or WD Green Power. If you don't need a high spindle speed,
> these drives will run very cool even under heavy use.
>
> William

I'll bet that the SmartWare can be wiped off of a WD drive with the
right software, but why bother?

I agree that aluminum enclosures work very well. Built and sold quite a
few of my own external USB drives, and never had a customer complaint.

And, yes, the small cheap fans fail all too regularly.

.... Ben Myers

From: RnR on
On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 22:41:57 -0500, Ben Myers <ben_myers(a)charter.net>
wrote:

>On 3/1/2010 6:49 PM, William R. Walsh wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I would strongly advise you not to buy a WD My Book hard disk drive of any
>> type. They are loading this so-called SmartWare on them and making it
>> impossible to remove on some models (USB/Firewire studio). (It's actually
>> impossible to remove it at all, according to them, but you can at least
>> "hide" it on USB only models.)
>>
>> I brought this to their attention four months ago, and was assured that they
>> were "working on a solution". They have not budged a bit, and what's more
>> than that, they have not updated their web site to accurately reflect the
>> fact that you can't remove SmartWare from a Studio edition drive. This sort
>> of incompetence on their part is inexcusable, and suggests that their
>> product engineers don't have a clue.
>>
>> That said, if you are concerned about heat, buy an aluminum enclosure (the
>> Vantec NexStar 3 is very nice) and put your own drive in it. The enclosure
>> will act as a very effective heatsink, and that is much more reliable than
>> cheap little fans that soon go bad.
>>
>> To drive heat consumption down further, consider a low-RPM drive such as the
>> Samsung Ecogreen or WD Green Power. If you don't need a high spindle speed,
>> these drives will run very cool even under heavy use.
>>
>> William
>>

>I'll bet that the SmartWare can be wiped off of a WD drive with the
>right software, but why bother?

Yes, it can be wiped.
From: Tony Harding on
On 03/01/10 21:31, Boris wrote:
> "RnR"<rnrtexas(a)gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 15:21:29 -0800 (PST), Bob Villa
>> <pheeh.zero(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I would only add...if you get the 2.5 HDD in a small aluminum
>>> housing...it can dissipate heat very well.
>>

>> Right Bob and I have one. No problems so far and it's very light...
>> almost too light.
>
> I'll second that. I mount my external drives in Vantec aluminum
> enclosures. They work very well, and don't heat up.

I'll 2nd the Vantec enclosures! I've had 2 for a while (guessing 1-2
years). One is usually OFF, the other one is ON a lot (backups are very
fast to an eSATA HDD). The 2nd one contains a WD 1TB HDD and has never
been more than warm to the touch (unscientific - granted).

From: Timothy Daniels on
"Sam" <scams(a)att.net> wrote:
>I am trying to buy an external hard drive and am having trouble finding a brand/model that has an internal cooling fan.
>I did a web search for the WD My Book 3.0, and even though it is new, it does not have an internal fan. I phoned WD
>and they said that they do not make any desktop external HDs with an internal fan!
>
> I would appreciate any information/suggestions about a reliable external HD with a cooling fan. My last external HD,
> I had to purchase an HD enclosure with an internal fan and used an internal HD with it. Thanks, Sam.

For eSATA and SATA, check out Kingwin for forced convection cooling
(i.e. fans) in their external HD enclosures. They include a power module.
You supply the hard drive.

For flexible "round" eSATA cables, check out:
http://www.svc.com/esata-cable.html (They don't move the external
enclosure around as the standard stiff eSATA cables do.)

*TimDaniels*