From: GlennK on
I am thinking about currently replacing a Dell D4300 it has been very
good to me over the years but is just getting very slow. I am Looking @
a Studio XPS 9000 I a attaching a copy of what I think would suite my
needs for another 9 years what I am looking for is feedback as to what
changes that could be made to this system
Thanks in Advance for your helpful input
Glenn

Software & Services
PROCESSORS Intel® Core™ i7-960 processor(8MB L3 Cache, 3.2GHz) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English edit

WARRANTY AND SERVICE 2 Year Basic Service Plan edit
In-Home Service after Remote Diagnosis:

MEMORY 9GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 6 DIMMs edit
HARD DRIVE 750GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive edit
VIDEO CARD ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3 edit
MONITOR 24.0" Dell ST2410 Full HD Monitor with VGA cable edit
OPTICAL DRIVE Dual Drives: Blu-ray Disc (BD) Burner (Writes to
DVD/CD/BD) and DVD+/-RW edit
SPEAKERS Bose Companion 2 Series II Multimedia Speaker System edit
SOUND CARD Soundblaster® X-Fi™ Titanium edit
WIRELESS Integrated 10/1000 Ethernet edit
KEYBOARD Dell Studio Consumer Multimedia Keyboard edit
MOUSE Dell Studio Optical Mouse edit
MODEM No Modem Option edit
My Accessories
OFFICE SOFTWARE Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007 edit
SECURITY SOFTWARE McAfee SecurityCenter, 36-Months edit
DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year edit
ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
Studio XPS 9000 Studio XPS 9000
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0 Multi-Language

--
"Some people are like a Slinky.....not really good for anything,
but you still can't help but smile when you shove them

From: Martin Walker on
"GlennK" <GlennK(a)live.com> wrote in message
> I am thinking about currently replacing a Dell D4300 it has been very good
> to me over the years but is just getting very slow. I am Looking @ a
> Studio XPS 9000 I a attaching a copy of what I think would suite my needs
> for another 9 years what I am looking for is feedback as to what changes
> that could be made to this system
> Thanks in Advance for your helpful input
> Glenn
>
> Software & Services
> PROCESSORS Intel� Core� i7-960 processor(8MB L3 Cache, 3.2GHz) edit
> OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows� 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English edit
>
> WARRANTY AND SERVICE 2 Year Basic Service Plan edit
> In-Home Service after Remote Diagnosis:
>
> MEMORY 9GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 6 DIMMs edit
> HARD DRIVE 750GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive edit
> VIDEO CARD ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3 edit
> MONITOR 24.0" Dell ST2410 Full HD Monitor with VGA cable edit
> OPTICAL DRIVE Dual Drives: Blu-ray Disc (BD) Burner (Writes to DVD/CD/BD)
> and DVD+/-RW edit
> SPEAKERS Bose Companion 2 Series II Multimedia Speaker System edit
> SOUND CARD Soundblaster� X-Fi� Titanium edit
> WIRELESS Integrated 10/1000 Ethernet edit
> KEYBOARD Dell Studio Consumer Multimedia Keyboard edit
> MOUSE Dell Studio Optical Mouse edit
> MODEM No Modem Option edit
> My Accessories
> OFFICE SOFTWARE Microsoft� Office Home and Student 2007 edit
> SECURITY SOFTWARE McAfee SecurityCenter, 36-Months edit
> DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year edit
> ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
> Studio XPS 9000 Studio XPS 9000
> Adobe Software Adobe� Acrobat� Reader 9.0 Multi-Language
>

> --
> "Some people are like a Slinky.....not really good for anything,
> but you still can't help but smile when you shove them
> down the stairs."

That would be a nice system! There is, however, one question that I just
have to ask, Are you the Glenn K. that threw my slinky in Duck lake? If so,
I'm your cousin. If not, never mind.

From: Daddy on
GlennK wrote:
> I am thinking about currently replacing a Dell D4300 it has been very
> good to me over the years but is just getting very slow. I am Looking @
> a Studio XPS 9000 I a attaching a copy of what I think would suite my
> needs for another 9 years what I am looking for is feedback as to what
> changes that could be made to this system
> Thanks in Advance for your helpful input
> Glenn
>
> Software & Services
> PROCESSORS Intel� Core� i7-960 processor(8MB L3 Cache, 3.2GHz) edit
> OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows� 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English edit
>
> WARRANTY AND SERVICE 2 Year Basic Service Plan edit
> In-Home Service after Remote Diagnosis:
>
> MEMORY 9GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 6 DIMMs edit
> HARD DRIVE 750GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive edit
> VIDEO CARD ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3 edit
> MONITOR 24.0" Dell ST2410 Full HD Monitor with VGA cable edit
> OPTICAL DRIVE Dual Drives: Blu-ray Disc (BD) Burner (Writes to
> DVD/CD/BD) and DVD+/-RW edit
> SPEAKERS Bose Companion 2 Series II Multimedia Speaker System edit
> SOUND CARD Soundblaster� X-Fi� Titanium edit
> WIRELESS Integrated 10/1000 Ethernet edit
> KEYBOARD Dell Studio Consumer Multimedia Keyboard edit
> MOUSE Dell Studio Optical Mouse edit
> MODEM No Modem Option edit
> My Accessories
> OFFICE SOFTWARE Microsoft� Office Home and Student 2007 edit
> SECURITY SOFTWARE McAfee SecurityCenter, 36-Months edit
> DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP Dell Online Backup 2GB for 1 year edit
> ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
> Studio XPS 9000 Studio XPS 9000
> Adobe Software Adobe� Acrobat� Reader 9.0 Multi-Language

Does the work you are doing now and in the foreseeable future require
the hardware you are thinking of buying?

Daddy
From: WSZsr on
Very nice system. I've had mine for almost a year.

Why the VGA analog cable for your monitor? Does it come with a DVI or HDMI
cable for digital operation?
Ditch the McAfee antivirus and download one of the many good free ones;
6GB of RAM is more than enough for most people.

From: powrwrap on
I'm looking at the 9000 as well. I will definitely want a blue-ray
burner, but I'm not going to buy it from Dell. I figure I can do
without it for a year or so then pick one up for far less money. As
Daddy has said in another post, you can probably do better on price by
buying speakers elsewhere. I agree with WSZsr on the McAfee. I'd ditch
that too (But is it possible? It comes with the system...)

A general question for the group--is a separate sound card a
necessity? Why do people get more than integrated audio? For 5.1
sound?