From: timdrouillard on
After many years, I choose to use a smaller, faster HD for the OS and
programs such as a Raptor or a V-Raptor or SSD, then I use a large HD
(1-2TB) for bulk data storage.

That way if the OS gets hosed or you just want to try a different one, then
all you do is re-do the smaller drive leaving all the data intact on the
larger drive.

From: Daddy on
RnR wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 12:01:36 -0500, Daddy <daddy(a)invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> RnR wrote:

>>> Good question !!
>>> I don't know the answer but my guess is that it depends on what
>>> situation you are in or want to be prepared for. I'm thinking in
>>> terms of cost, # of systems owned, useage and future useage if
>>> different.
>> How is it possible to recommend having two hard drives, or what size of
>> hard drive, or what processor, or how much memory, etc., without knowing
>> how the OP plans to use the computer?
>>
>> Unfortunately, the OP has not told us how he plans to use the computer,
>> or what software he plans to use. Without that information, almost any
>> opinions we give are purely a shot in the dark.
>>
>> Of course, it's hard to go wrong by choosing the most powerful computer
>> you can afford. In that case, your credit card limit determines whether
>> or not a computer is right for you.
>>
>> Daddy
>

> Did you have your first cup of coffee yet or put your glasses on?
> Seriously, did you mean to reply to me? If so, you didn't read my
> post very well. I said I didn't know and I addressed useage as part
> of my answer. I am NOT recommending anything in my previous post.

Not responding to you personally.

Daddy
From: Tom Lake on

> How is it possible to recommend having two hard drives, or what size of
> hard drive, or what processor, or how much memory, etc., without knowing
> how the OP plans to use the computer?

It doesn't matter what use the OP will have in order to recommend a bigger
drive.
Think of an adequate drive size nine years ago. Now think of a modern OS.
Hell, in nine years, the OS itself won't fit on a 750 GB drive along with
applications,
video, etc. I read his post as meaning he wouldn't buy any more hardware
for
nine years which precludes his buying more hard drives later.

Tom Lake

From: RnR on
On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 14:28:48 -0500, Daddy <daddy(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>RnR wrote:
>> On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 12:01:36 -0500, Daddy <daddy(a)invalid.invalid>
>> wrote:

>>> How is it possible to recommend having two hard drives, or what size of
>>> hard drive, or what processor, or how much memory, etc., without knowing
>>> how the OP plans to use the computer?
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, the OP has not told us how he plans to use the computer,
>>> or what software he plans to use. Without that information, almost any
>>> opinions we give are purely a shot in the dark.
>>>
>>> Of course, it's hard to go wrong by choosing the most powerful computer
>>> you can afford. In that case, your credit card limit determines whether
>>> or not a computer is right for you.
>>>
>>> Daddy
>>

>> Did you have your first cup of coffee yet or put your glasses on?
>> Seriously, did you mean to reply to me? If so, you didn't read my
>> post very well. I said I didn't know and I addressed useage as part
>> of my answer. I am NOT recommending anything in my previous post.
>
>Not responding to you personally.
>
>Daddy

I guess the thread looked that way but the content did not unless you
were half asleep. Ok.
From: Brian K on

"powrwrap"

>Are the days of having two (or more) hard drives over? Is the current
>practice to have a 1 TB hard drive and an external, portable hard
>drive?

Data transfer speed is about 4 times faster between two internal HDs than
between an internal HD and a USB external HD.