From: gf on
I agree, Lucas, thank for maintaining the package. I understand you're
trying to hit a very elusive target, and often probably working from a
poor set of requirements as far as what we, the users, want.

I always wanted a current package of Ruby with rubygems installed, the
drivers for Postgres and MySQL, SSL support, and libxml2 and Nokogiri.
That would give me the ability to process XML and HTML, talk to the
two primary DBs I've used over the last five years, talk to secured
services on the internet, etc., as soon as the install finished. As
is, I've always had to do those things before I could start to use
Ruby on a box in our enterprise.

That's just my $0.02 wishlist.

From: gf on
That is exactly what I ended up doing on all the Ubuntu-based machines
I had. It was easier to install from source so I had current revisions
of Ruby, and to manage all my gems by hand.

When rvm came out I switched to it and now it's my favorite way to go
on Mac OS and Ubuntu because it handles the grunt work of maintaining
multiple versions of Ruby, allows gem bundles, and makes it trivial to
switch from one version of Ruby to another when testing.

From: Lucas Nussbaum on
On 18/03/10 at 13:36 +0900, Nick Brown wrote:
> Lucas: Thanks for maintaining the Ruby package in Ubuntu!
>
> Might I suggest that the package called "ruby" install the standard
> ruby, with everything? This would reduce confusion (and disapproving
> comments) very much.
>
> If you really think there is big demand for minimal ruby installs, go
> ahead and have a ruby-minimal package, too. But you should know that
> many people, especially newbies, are mislead by calling something "ruby"
> which is actually "partial-ruby".

Which parts of ruby which are currently split out would you like to see
installed when the user installs ruby? For example, ruby ships a ruby
emacs mode. Installing that would require adding a dependency on emacs,
which doesn't sound reasonable.

Anyway, I've just added the following packages to the list of packages
that are "suggested" when someone installs ruby: irb, rdoc, ri,
libopenssl-ruby, ruby-dev.
That doesn't mean that they are installed automatically when the user
installs "ruby", but the package manager will suggest to install those
packages too.
--
| Lucas Nussbaum
| lucas(a)lucas-nussbaum.net http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: lucas(a)nussbaum.fr GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |

From: Lucas Nussbaum on
On 18/03/10 at 16:43 +0900, gf wrote:
> I agree, Lucas, thank for maintaining the package. I understand you're
> trying to hit a very elusive target, and often probably working from a
> poor set of requirements as far as what we, the users, want.
>
> I always wanted a current package of Ruby with rubygems installed, the
> drivers for Postgres and MySQL, SSL support, and libxml2 and Nokogiri.
> That would give me the ability to process XML and HTML, talk to the
> two primary DBs I've used over the last five years, talk to secured
> services on the internet, etc., as soon as the install finished. As
> is, I've always had to do those things before I could start to use
> Ruby on a box in our enterprise.

Isn't that available if you apt-get install ruby rubygems libpgsql-ruby
libmysql-ruby libopenssl-ruby libxml-ruby libnokogiri-ruby?

I hope you understand that it is not reasonable to expect this to be
part of the default Debian install, or even to expect that installing
"ruby" would install "libpgsql-ruby libmysql-ruby libopenssl-ruby
libxml-ruby libnokogiri-ruby" too.

From: Ryan Davis on

On Mar 18, 2010, at 00:47 , Lucas Nussbaum wrote:

> Which parts of ruby which are currently split out would you like to see
> installed when the user installs ruby? For example, ruby ships a ruby
> emacs mode. Installing that would require adding a dependency on emacs,
> which doesn't sound reasonable.

That's a bullshit rationalization. All the other platforms install that file just fine. None of the installs fail if emacs isn't available.

Install everything. Make `ruby` work exactly as it works everywhere else. Anything less is a disservice to your own users.