From: Lucas Nussbaum on
On 19/03/10 at 00:35 +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote:
> On Mar 18, 2010, at 10:15 AM, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
>
> > Note there are not many development communities that are proud of the
> > fact of having different, incompatible versions of the same software
> > being widely used at the same time.
> >
> > Most other communities solve that by having more stable APIs and making
> > sure that their important software supports the latest API.
>
> > Of course, if you want to install many different Ruby and gems versions,
> > and then try to keep them in a sensible state wrt security issues (which
> > are not that uncommon in the ruby world), that's your choice.
>
> You have lost the high ground in the civility argument.

Why? What do you disagree with?
--
| Lucas Nussbaum
| lucas(a)lucas-nussbaum.net http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: lucas(a)nussbaum.fr GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |

From: James Edward Gray II on
On Mar 18, 2010, at 10:53 AM, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:

> On 19/03/10 at 00:35 +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote:
>> On Mar 18, 2010, at 10:15 AM, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
>>
>>> Note there are not many development communities that are proud of the
>>> fact of having different, incompatible versions of the same software
>>> being widely used at the same time.
>>>
>>> Most other communities solve that by having more stable APIs and making
>>> sure that their important software supports the latest API.
>>
>>> Of course, if you want to install many different Ruby and gems versions,
>>> and then try to keep them in a sensible state wrt security issues (which
>>> are not that uncommon in the ruby world), that's your choice.
>>
>> You have lost the high ground in the civility argument.
>
> Why? What do you disagree with?

I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with anything. I was pointing out that you yourself have stopped being civil in the quoted comments above.

James Edward Gray II
From: Lucas Nussbaum on
On 19/03/10 at 01:01 +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote:
> On Mar 18, 2010, at 10:53 AM, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:

> >> You have lost the high ground in the civility argument.
> >
> > Why? What do you disagree with?
>
> I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing with anything. I was pointing out
> that you yourself have stopped being civil in the quoted comments
> above.

I disagree. I think that the following are true:
- changing APIs is not considered a big problem in the ruby community
- there are several versions of the interpreter being all widely used
(ruby 1.8.6, 1.8.7, and to a lesser degree unfortunately, 1.9.X)
- other scripting languages don't have as many API problems as ruby
(look at perl or python -- well, python has some for python 3.X)
- ruby has had several security issues over the past year. Every complex
and famous software package has some, that's life. But managing
security when you have several versions co-installed manually is
harder than when you just have to 'apt-get upgrade'.

Note that I'm a Ruby fan, and also a ruby library developer. I'm the
original author for XMPP4R, for example. What I wrote above are just
*facts* about Ruby, not insults.

From: Rick DeNatale on
On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Lucas Nussbaum
<lucas(a)lucas-nussbaum.net> wrote:
>> On Mar 18, 2010, at 10:15 AM, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
>>
>> > Note there are not many development communities that are proud of the
>> > fact of having different, incompatible versions of the same software
>> > being widely used at the same time.
>> >
>> > Most other communities solve that by having more stable APIs and making
>> > sure that their important software supports the latest API.

I find the massive and rapid open source contributions to the overall
Ruby ecosystem to be a big source of pride in the Ruby community.

The fact that not everything needs to be on the same version of
everything is what allows fast movement.

Now I realize that there's a different mindset between cutting-edge
development to deployment to system administration. Clearly having
less stability in the various pieces that make up various applications
raises some issues, and we, the Ruby community have been dealing with
those issues and getting better at it as time goes on.

Allowing that 'instability' is important to a lot of us, believe it or not.

As I said before packaged Ruby solutions and re-packaged gems have
their place, they work for some users, but not for all.

In another reply to this thread you said:

> Such a minor issue" was the split of many software packages into
> seperate Debian packages, not the split of Ruby. ...

> Interestingly, we don't get many complaints on the Debian side about
> that. The only place where I hear about it is on this list.

I'm not sure what the antecedent of 'that' in the first sentence in
the second paragraph is. But I guess it doesn't matter. Perhaps the
reason you only hear complaints about the debian packaging of Ruby and
gems here is that there's a much higher proportion of users here who
are actually leveraging Ruby in such a way as to have conflicting
requirements with those of the debian packagers.

And as I said before, it's not really an either or. You can run both
packaged ruby/gems if you need to in order to run other packages which
require them, along with multiple other installations outside of the
file system space clamed by debian policy within the FHS.

This whole discussion reminds me of the endless static vs. dynamic
typing debate. Some feel strongly that one should live within a
highly constrained infrastructure, others see benefits in having more
freedom of action, and are willing to deal with the consequences and
use tools and techniques which do that.

>> > Of course, if you want to install many different Ruby and gems versions,
>> > and then try to keep them in a sensible state wrt security issues (which
>> > are not that uncommon in the ruby world), that's your choice.
>>
> On 19/03/10 at 00:35 +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote:
>> You have lost the high ground in the civility argument.
>
> Why? What do you disagree with?

I can't speak for James but perhaps he was reacting to the remark
about security issues not being uncommon in the ruby world.

In fact, although there have been security patches to Ruby/Rails etc.
They haven't been more frequent than most other OSS software as far as
I have experienced, and certainly less than software from a certain
company headquartered in the US Pacific Northwest. And such security
patches are generally released quickly.

In fact having the ability to apply such changes, without having to
wait for them to be packaged 'downstream' is another advantage to
allowing 'instability.'

--
Rick DeNatale

From: Lucas Nussbaum on
On 19/03/10 at 01:17 +0900, Rick DeNatale wrote:
> > Such a minor issue" was the split of many software packages into
> > seperate Debian packages, not the split of Ruby. ...
>
> > Interestingly, we don't get many complaints on the Debian side about
> > that. The only place where I hear about it is on this list.
>
> I'm not sure what the antecedent of 'that' in the first sentence in
> the second paragraph is. But I guess it doesn't matter. Perhaps the
> reason you only hear complaints about the debian packaging of Ruby and
> gems here is that there's a much higher proportion of users here who
> are actually leveraging Ruby in such a way as to have conflicting
> requirements with those of the debian packagers.

That's very true. Note that, on the Debian side, we totally acknowledge
that Rubygems fills a need for some people (Ruby developers who want the
cutting edge software). However, the vision (from a part of the ruby
community) where everybody using Debian/Ubuntu is using apt-get to
install their normal application, but rubygems to install their ruby
applications, is not a realistic one.

> > On 19/03/10 at 00:35 +0900, James Edward Gray II wrote:
> >> You have lost the high ground in the civility argument.
> >
> > Why? What do you disagree with?
>
> I can't speak for James but perhaps he was reacting to the remark
> about security issues not being uncommon in the ruby world.
>
> In fact, although there have been security patches to Ruby/Rails etc.
> They haven't been more frequent than most other OSS software as far as
> I have experienced, and certainly less than software from a certain
> company headquartered in the US Pacific Northwest. And such security
> patches are generally released quickly.
>
> In fact having the ability to apply such changes, without having to
> wait for them to be packaged 'downstream' is another advantage to
> allowing 'instability.'

Heh, I never wrote that Ruby is a security nightmare :P There are
security issues in Ruby too, so that's something to take into account
when considering several versions of ruby concurrently and from source.
I agree that the Ruby security history is not particularly bad.