From: Lucas Nussbaum on
On 19/03/10 at 06:44 +0900, John W Higgins wrote:
> Good Afternoon,
>
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Lucas Nussbaum <lucas(a)lucas-nussbaum.net>wrote:
>
> > With ruby libraries:
> > - it is usually difficult to find a usable source. Sometimes we have to
> > extract the gem and convert it to a tgz. We also have a service
> > (githubredir.debian.net) that allows us to fetch a specific tag on
> > github as a .tgz.
> >

> I'm rather confused by this - a gem file (at least as far as I can find)
> contains two files data.tar.gz and metadata.tar.gz within the tar.gz shell
> of the .gem file - what exactly is the issue with that layout? Is there
> something specific that this doesn't provide you that is of great
> importance?

It's just extra work. Also, if I remember correctly, the dates in the
data.tar.gz file are incorrect because of a missing feature in the
pure-ruby tar implementation in rubygems.

> > - then we often have to modify the source, to remove the calls to
> > "require 'rubygems'"
> >

> I'm pretty sure that's a one liner for 99.9% of cases and I really don't
> think is necessary - you really should look at how Gentoo installs gems
> because we get the benefit of both "manually" installing a package as well
> as full integration within RubyGems (for example gem list --local shows all
> gems installed via portage and well as gem install). If there is no ebuild
> file we can infact turn to emerge-gem to take a gem file and create an
> ebuild (including full dependency checks from the gem itself). Does it work
> every single time - nope - but it seems like a huge improvement over what is
> going on with Debian at the moment.
>
> > - then we have to find a way to install the files. If the directory
> > structure uses the setup.rb standard (bin/, lib/, etc...), then it's
> > easy, and we use our own copy of setup.rb to install everything.
> > But some libraries don't ship the files in a very organized way.
>
> Again, you keep seeming to want to continue to take shot after shot at
> developers when clearly it's an issue with the ability of Debian to have any
> flexibility - again looking at Gentoo it somehow, in a very much automated
> fashion, manages to handle all these wild and wacky libraries.
>
> In fact you might want to look at Gentoo as a way to create sources packages
> because it seems to handle all your issues and will present a nice simple
> tar.bz2 package of the files that might be much easier to work with in
> regards to your need for standardization. And I'm truly not saying that to
> be an idiot or anything - it really seems like Gentoo has solved the issues
> you are having, at least with respect to getting the files into some form of
> a constant layout which may be of great help to you.

I agree that we could have a better infrastructure on the Debian side to
deal with that, and automate many of the tasks. None of the problems are
particularly hard, we just all lack time (and motivation to work on a
somehow poisonous issue).

I really think that, in the end, whether to plug into the gems system
(like Gentoo does) or to leave it for manual installs by the user (like
Debian does) is mainly a matter of taste.

Btw, I see in the github portage tree that former versions for gems are
apparently no longer available. How do you deal with gems that require a
specific (ancient) version of another gem?
--
| Lucas Nussbaum
| lucas(a)lucas-nussbaum.net http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/ |
| jabber: lucas(a)nussbaum.fr GPG: 1024D/023B3F4F |

From: Lucas Nussbaum on
On 19/03/10 at 13:20 +0900, Dido Sevilla wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 11:02 PM, Lucas Nussbaum
> <lucas(a)lucas-nussbaum.net> wrote:
> > If, maybe, the Ruby community fixed the fact that it's illegal to load
> > all of stdlib in the same process (because of OpenSSL vs GPL)
>
> http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html#LEGAL2
>
> "On many systems including the major Linux and BSD distributions, yes
> (the GPL does not place restrictions on using libraries that are part
> of the normal operating system distribution). "

Full quote:

"On other systems, the situation is less clear. Some GPL software
copyright holders claim that you infringe on their rights if you use
OpenSSL with their software on operating systems that don't normally
include OpenSSL.

If you develop open source software that uses OpenSSL, you may find it
useful to choose an other license than the GPL, or state explicitly that
"This program is released under the GPL with the additional exemption
that compiling, linking, and/or using OpenSSL is allowed." If you are
using GPL software developed by others, you may want to ask the
copyright holder for permission to use their software with OpenSSL."

Note that the FSF and Debian think that this is a problem.

I'm not sure how the Ruby copyright is managed. If it is possible to
change the license, I would suggest adding a GPL exemption clause (like
wget did, for example), which would clarify the situation.

From wget's README file:

Additional permission under GNU GPL version 3 section 7

If you modify this program, or any covered work, by linking or
combining it with the OpenSSL project's OpenSSL library (or a
modified version of that library), containing parts covered by the
terms of the OpenSSL or SSLeay licenses, the Free Software Foundation
grants you additional permission to convey the resulting work.
Corresponding Source for a non-source form of such a combination
shall include the source code for the parts of OpenSSL used as well
as that of the covered work.

From: Brian Candler on
Austin Ziegler wrote:
> Lawyers will agree that there's a distribution incompatibility since
> the GNU GPL doesn't permit attribution requirements and OpenSSL
> requires it under two different licences.

If Debian are worried about infringement, then who do they think is
going to sue them?

(1) The OpenSSL copyright holders?

http://www.openssl.org/support/faq.html#LEGAL2

Clearly, they see it as an issue of the GPL holders needing to extend
their licence, not OpenSSL intending to restrict what GPL authors do.

'If you develop open source software that uses OpenSSL, you may find it
useful to choose an other license than the GPL, or state explicitly that
"This program is released under the GPL with the additional exemption
that compiling, linking, and/or using OpenSSL is allowed."'

Anyway, if the OpenSSL licence requires attribution, surely that applies
only to OpenSSL itself? Do people think that it is viral in the way that
the GPL is viral?

(2) The Ruby/FreeRADIUS/etc people?

Their code explicitly does things like #include <openssl.h>. It is quite
obviously intended to be used and linked with OpenSSL.

They might be worried if someone tried to redistribute Ruby+OpenSSL
under a single combined licence which was more restrictive than the GPL.
But Debian isn't doing that; they aggregate a whole load of software,
each distributed under its own licence. Is there an all-encompassing
"Debian Licence"? I didn't think so, and I wouldn't use Debian/Ubuntu if
I discovered there were.

From: Lucas Nussbaum on
On 19/03/10 at 18:16 +0900, Brian Candler wrote:
> Austin Ziegler wrote:
> > Lawyers will agree that there's a distribution incompatibility since
> > the GNU GPL doesn't permit attribution requirements and OpenSSL
> > requires it under two different licences.
>
> If Debian are worried about infringement, then who do they think is
> going to sue them?
>
> (1) The OpenSSL copyright holders?

[..]

> (2) The Ruby/FreeRADIUS/etc people?

[..]

You shouldn't assume that because someone is very friendly now, it will
always be the case. There has been several occurrences of people or
groups changing their mind, because, for a example, a company was bought
by another one with a less friendly position.

Note that Freeradius has a exception for OpenSSL in src/LICENSE.openssl.
Ruby doesn't AFAICS.

> They might be worried if someone tried to redistribute Ruby+OpenSSL
> under a single combined licence which was more restrictive than the GPL.
> But Debian isn't doing that; they aggregate a whole load of software,
> each distributed under its own licence. Is there an all-encompassing
> "Debian Licence"? I didn't think so, and I wouldn't use Debian/Ubuntu if
> I discovered there were.

There isn't.

From: Brian Candler on
Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Note that Freeradius has a exception for OpenSSL in src/LICENSE.openssl.

Ah, that's pretty recent, thanks for pointing it out. I look forward to
an EAP-capable freeradius out of the box.

> Ruby doesn't AFAICS.

Has it been requested?