From: Antares 531 on
I'm still in the learning phase of my transition from MS Money to
Quicken. I recently encountered a problem in my mutual funds
investment account that is handled through my Credit Union. This
account has been working out well in Quicken until my April statement
came and I tried to key the information into Quicken. Unfortunately
this mutual fund investment account is not set up for on-line
downloads so I have to key the monthly statement info into Quicken.

Starting with my April entries I am no longer able to get the
"Reconciled" R to work right. If I go through the process in the
Investing pane I get a warning telling me that this transaction must
be handled from the Banking pane (cash account), not from the
Investing pane. But, when I go to the Banking pane and click the R at
the left edge it shows up as reconciled yet the Investing pane still
shows a blank where the reconciled R should be. What am I doing wrong?

All the numbers seem to tally up okay but I can't get the Investing
pane to show the entries reconciled.

Thanks for any insights,

Gordon
From: John Pollard on
Antares 531 wrote:
> I'm still in the learning phase of my transition from MS Money to
> Quicken. I recently encountered a problem in my mutual funds
> investment account that is handled through my Credit Union. This
> account has been working out well in Quicken until my April statement
> came and I tried to key the information into Quicken. Unfortunately
> this mutual fund investment account is not set up for on-line
> downloads so I have to key the monthly statement info into Quicken.
>
> Starting with my April entries I am no longer able to get the
> "Reconciled" R to work right. If I go through the process in the
> Investing pane I get a warning telling me that this transaction must
> be handled from the Banking pane (cash account), not from the
> Investing pane. But, when I go to the Banking pane and click the R at
> the left edge it shows up as reconciled yet the Investing pane still
> shows a blank where the reconciled R should be. What am I doing wrong?
>
> All the numbers seem to tally up okay but I can't get the Investing
> pane to show the entries reconciled.

You didn't say what version of Quicken you're using, and you didn't say
how you were trying to reconcile.

Your description differs from what I observe in Q2010 Premier R9 (and, I'm
pretty sure, previous versions).

1.) The "Cleared Status" column is only the leftmost column in investment
accounts.
2.) I have no problem manually changing the cleared status of a transfer
transaction in an investment account to its linked checking account ... I
only see the problem when trying to manually reconcile the counterpart,
the transfer transaction that appears in the linked checking account (and
I believe the message telling you to "make this change from the investment
account" is misleading, if not incorrect).

I think your description of #1 and #2 is backwards.

I believe you have to use the manual reconcile (one transaction at a time)
to reconcile transactions in an investment account with a linked checking
account.

And I suggest you use the Quicken reconcile dialog to reconcile the linked
checking account transactions. A checking account reconcile can be
initiated from the drop down "Account Activities" button in the account
(Q2010); or by placing the Quicken Reconcile icon on the Quicken Toolbar
(clicking that icon will initiate the appropriate/allowed reconcile dialog
for whatever Quicken account is "open" when you click the toolbar icon).

--

John Pollard
Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

From: Antares 531 on
On Wed, 9 Jun 2010 21:03:33 -0500, "John Pollard"
<8plus7isf(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Antares 531 wrote:
>> I'm still in the learning phase of my transition from MS Money to
>> Quicken. I recently encountered a problem in my mutual funds
>> investment account that is handled through my Credit Union. This
>> account has been working out well in Quicken until my April statement
>> came and I tried to key the information into Quicken. Unfortunately
>> this mutual fund investment account is not set up for on-line
>> downloads so I have to key the monthly statement info into Quicken.
>>
>> Starting with my April entries I am no longer able to get the
>> "Reconciled" R to work right. If I go through the process in the
>> Investing pane I get a warning telling me that this transaction must
>> be handled from the Banking pane (cash account), not from the
>> Investing pane. But, when I go to the Banking pane and click the R at
>> the left edge it shows up as reconciled yet the Investing pane still
>> shows a blank where the reconciled R should be. What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> All the numbers seem to tally up okay but I can't get the Investing
>> pane to show the entries reconciled.
>
>You didn't say what version of Quicken you're using, and you didn't say
>how you were trying to reconcile.

Sorry, John. My head is a bit in the clouds, I guess. I'm using
Quicken 2010 Premier Release R10, and for the most part it works very
well. I'm well pleased with the overall setup, but need to get this
problem resolved to make sure my data will be ready and available come
tax time next year.

>Your description differs from what I observe in Q2010 Premier R9 (and, I'm
>pretty sure, previous versions).
>
>1.) The "Cleared Status" column is only the leftmost column in investment
>accounts.
>2.) I have no problem manually changing the cleared status of a transfer
>transaction in an investment account to its linked checking account ... I
>only see the problem when trying to manually reconcile the counterpart,
>the transfer transaction that appears in the linked checking account (and
>I believe the message telling you to "make this change from the investment
>account" is misleading, if not incorrect).
>
>I think your description of #1 and #2 is backwards.

I did indeed have these reversed. If I open the Investing pane the R
for Reconciled column along the left edge works well, but even with
this showing a specific item as reconciled, it won't be reconciled in
the Banking pane.

If I try to manually reconcile an item in the Banking pane it seems to
work in that the R shows up as expected, but when I press the Enter
key to move on to the next item I get the error message;

You should make this change from the investment account to avoid
losing transaction detail. Click Go to Transfer from the Edit menu.

When I comply and go to the Investing pane I'm back to square one. The
R shows at the right of this pane and the item looks like it is
reconciled, but for some reason this won't transfer the reconciled
state to the Banking pane.

>I believe you have to use the manual reconcile (one transaction at a time)
>to reconcile transactions in an investment account with a linked checking
>account.

I've tried this. In fact, I deleted all the recently keyed in,
un-reconciled items from both the Banking and the Investing panes,
then tried keying them in again, one item at a time, keyed in from the
Investing pane. This didn't work, either.

>And I suggest you use the Quicken reconcile dialog to reconcile the linked
>checking account transactions. A checking account reconcile can be
>initiated from the drop down "Account Activities" button in the account
>(Q2010); or by placing the Quicken Reconcile icon on the Quicken Toolbar
>(clicking that icon will initiate the appropriate/allowed reconcile dialog
>for whatever Quicken account is "open" when you click the toolbar icon).

I've tried this, as well as just clicking on the left-most column in
the Investing pane then selecting the R. This works in so far as
making the item reconciled in the investing pane, but the same item in
the Banking pane remains unchanged.

The thing that is weird is that this reconciled function was working
properly before I did an on-line update for Quicken. I'm thinking
there may have been some flaw in this update.

Gordon
From: Bob Wang on
Antares, what you are describing is the way Quicken has always worked for me
when brokerage cash is shown in a linked checking account.
To get the transaction to display properly, do this:

First give the transaction a posting date by:

1) Right-click on the transaction in the checking account
2) Hold down CTRL key while clicking on "Copy Transaction"
3) Enter a posting date.

Then mark the transaction as "Cleared"

1) Start a reconciliation
2) Mark the problem transaction as Cleared
3) Choose "Finish Later", and answer "Yes"

You could also just reconcile and make the transaction "Reconciled" if you
are ready to reconcile.

From: John Pollard on
Antares 531 wrote:
> [...]

>> incorrect).
>>
>> I think your description of #1 and #2 is backwards.
>>
> I did indeed have these reversed. If I open the Investing pane the R
> for Reconciled column along the left edge works well, but even with
> this showing a specific item as reconciled, it won't be reconciled in
> the Banking pane.
>
> If I try to manually reconcile an item in the Banking pane it seems to
> work in that the R shows up as expected, but when I press the Enter
> key to move on to the next item I get the error message;
>
> You should make this change from the investment account to avoid
> losing transaction detail. Click Go to Transfer from the Edit menu.
>
> When I comply and go to the Investing pane I'm back to square one. The
> R shows at the right of this pane and the item looks like it is
> reconciled, but for some reason this won't transfer the reconciled

As I tried to say; this is the way it should work. You should be able to
reconcile individual transactions in the investment account (and - I
believe - you must reconcile the investment account transactions that
way); but that will not cause transactions to be reconciled in the linked
checked account.

>> I believe you have to use the manual reconcile (one transaction at a
>> time) to reconcile transactions in an investment account with a
>> linked checking account.

> I've tried this. In fact, I deleted all the recently keyed in,
> un-reconciled items from both the Banking and the Investing panes,
> then tried keying them in again, one item at a time, keyed in from the
> Investing pane. This didn't work, either.

I think you need to totally forget about any link between the two accounts
as far as reconciling is concerned: I believe you must reconcile the two
accounts totally independently ... using a different reconcile method in
each account.

>> And I suggest you use the Quicken reconcile dialog to reconcile the
>> linked checking account transactions. A checking account reconcile
>> can be initiated from the drop down "Account Activities" button in
>> the account (Q2010); or by placing the Quicken Reconcile icon on the
>> Quicken Toolbar (clicking that icon will initiate the
>> appropriate/allowed reconcile dialog for whatever Quicken account is
>> "open" when you click the toolbar icon).

> I've tried this,

Are you sure?

> as well as just clicking on the left-most column in
> the Investing pane then selecting the R. This works in so far as
> making the item reconciled in the investing pane, but the same item in
> the Banking pane remains unchanged.

Here you're telling me you "tried this" for my suggestion to use the
Quicken reconcile "feature", but all the rest of the paragraph is not
about what happened when you initiated a reconcile in the linked checking
account ... but back to talking about what does not happen when you change
an investment account transaction. That shouldn't be any part of the
description of what happens when you open a Quicken reconcile dialog, mark
one or more transactions as reconciled, and click "Finish".

Again ... in the linked checking account: Account Actions > Reconcile.
Mark each transaction you want reconciled, then (assuming the reconcile
"Difference" is 0.00) click "Finished".

> The thing that is weird is that this reconciled function was working
> properly before I did an on-line update for Quicken. I'm thinking
> there may have been some flaw in this update.

I just tested my approach in Q2010 Premier R10 (the newest release of
Q2010) and it works as I have suggested.