From: Markla on
Hi, I'm creating an intranet site for an event, so people can connect
wirelessly & get info. They can not get to the internet- just the event's
intranet site.

The problem is once connected to a public (open) wireless network, to direct
people to the intranet site.

How can I configure IIS/Windows, so when a user browses anywhere, it always
redirects them to the event site?
From: .._.. on
This makes no goddamn sense.

In each one of the paragraphs below, is an impossible request, or one that
would be a tremendous security hole if it was possible.

Dude, hire someone that knows what the words you are using mean.

From: Dooza on
On 10/06/2010 17:16, .._.. wrote:
> This makes no goddamn sense.
>
> In each one of the paragraphs below, is an impossible request, or one that
> would be a tremendous security hole if it was possible.
>
> Dude, hire someone that knows what the words you are using mean.

He wants to do the same as hotels with WIFI, but its not IIS that needs
to do this, its the proxy server.

Basically, if someone connects to his access point the users will by
default get redirected to his intranet page. If they try to type in
another address they get redirected to his intranet page.

Its the proxy or router that would need to do this, not IIS.

Dooza
From: Ken Schaefer on
Neither IIS nor Windows does this natively. Otherwise I could just setup a
Windows server, and have everyone in the world "redirected" to it. :-)

What you need to do is either:
a) setup a DNS server that your users use
-or-
b) setup a proxy server that your users use

these can either redirect users temporarily (b) or redirect users
permanently (a) to your site.

Cheers
Ken

From: Markla on
Thanks Dooza & Ken, appreciated.

My understanding to do this with a proxy, I'd need each user to configure a
proxy, which would be complex when anyone can join. Whereas using a DNS, the
DNS server is assigned with a DHCP IP address, so I can control by DNS
easier, and only while people are on my locally created network. Correct me
if I'm wrong.

I've found some internet access hardware which says it supports it, although
haven't been able to get confirmation yet, have been looking at the Cisco 881
in particular.

I'm also told this type of solution is called a "walled garden", searching
for that has found some options as well.

I acknowledge this isn't going be an IIS solution so I'll look for another
forum. If anyone knows a forum where I might get further info, I'd appreciate
it.

Thanks again,
+M