From: Joe Whitehurst on
You could expand the scope of your efforts by exploiting annotate and/or
templates which would make your task quite simple. With templates for
example, you could generate two different vertical bar charts (two differen=
invocations of Proc Gchart) and put them in appropriately designed template
panels--one for past months and one for predicted future months. Or, with
annotate you could dispense with Proc Gchart altogether and generate
everything with the annotate facility which gives you programmatic, pixel
level control over the graphics display so that you can draw anything
including vertical bars and place them exactly where you want them.

From: Arthur Tabachneck on
Jim,

Take a look at the example shown at:
http://support.sas.com/kb/24/868.html

It describes how to combine vref=somevalue and frontref.

Art
--------
On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 13:58:46 -0400, Lane, Jim <jim.lane(a)RBC.COM> wrote:

>Hi, All
>
>I'm having trouble getting GCHART to co-operate. My program so far looks
>like this.
>
>axis1 value=(h=0.5) ;
>axis5 value=(h=0.5) label=none order=('01oct2000'd to '01oct2012'd by
>qtr);
>proc gchart data=work.c;
> vbar month / type=sum sumvar=x subgroup=c axis=axis1 maxis=axis5
>discrete ;
>run; quit;
>
>This is producing a vertical bar chart as I expect. My problem is that I
>would like to divide the chart somehow by drawing a vertical reference
>line so that the bars for months in the past lie to the left of the line
>and the future is to the right. I've tried to do this with options such
>as:
>
>href='01sep2009'd lref=2 cref=blue
>
>This produces neither a reference line nor an error message. What am I
>doing wrong here?
>
>-Jim Lane
>
>This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does
not waive any related rights and obligations.
>Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it
contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized.
>If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail
or otherwise) immediately.

>Ce courrier �lectronique est confidentiel et prot�g�. L'exp�diteur ne
renonce pas aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent.
>Toute diffusion, utilisation ou copie de ce message ou des renseignements
qu'il contient par une personne autre que le (les) destinataire(s) d�sign�
(s) est interdite.
>Si vous recevez ce courrier �lectronique par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser
imm�diatement, par retour de courrier �lectronique ou par un autre moyen.
From: "Lane, Jim" on
Art: thanks. Interesting. If I run that as is

proc gchart data=a;
vbar3d YEAR / sumvar=CNT discrete raxis=axis1
coutline=black cframe=yellow width=5
vref=30 inside=sum frontref;

I get a reference line. If I change it to something closer to what I'm after

proc gchart data=a;
vbar YEAR / sumvar=CNT discrete raxis=axis1
coutline=black cframe=yellow width=5
href=1999 inside=sum frontref;

I don't get a reference line, just a warning message:

WARNING: The reference line at 1999 on the vertical axis labeled CNT SUM is out of range.

How can that be given that YEAR ranges from 1997 to 2001? Also why does it say "vertical axis" when I asked for a horizontal axis?

/JL

It describes how to combine vref=somevalue and frontref.

Art
--------
On Mon, 21 Sep 2009 13:58:46 -0400, Lane, Jim <jim.lane(a)RBC.COM> wrote:

>Hi, All
>
>I'm having trouble getting GCHART to co-operate. My program so far
>looks like this.
>
>axis1 value=(h=0.5) ;
>axis5 value=(h=0.5) label=none order=('01oct2000'd to '01oct2012'd by
>qtr); proc gchart data=work.c;
> vbar month / type=sum sumvar=x subgroup=c axis=axis1 maxis=axis5
>discrete ; run; quit;
>
>This is producing a vertical bar chart as I expect. My problem is that
>I would like to divide the chart somehow by drawing a vertical
>reference line so that the bars for months in the past lie to the left
>of the line and the future is to the right. I've tried to do this with
>options such
>as:
>
>href='01sep2009'd lref=2 cref=blue
>
>This produces neither a reference line nor an error message. What am I
>doing wrong here?
>
>-Jim Lane
>
>This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does
not waive any related rights and obligations.
>Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it
contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized.
>If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return
>e-mail
or otherwise) immediately.

>Ce courrier �lectronique est confidentiel et prot�g�.
>L'exp�diteur ne
renonce pas aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent.
>Toute diffusion, utilisation ou copie de ce message ou des
>renseignements
qu'il contient par une personne autre que le (les) destinataire(s) d�sign�
(s) est interdite.
>Si vous recevez ce courrier �lectronique par erreur, veuillez m'en
>aviser
imm�diatement, par retour de courrier �lectronique ou par un autre moyen.

This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related rights and obligations.
Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized.
If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.

Ce courrier �lectronique est confidentiel et prot�g�. L'exp�diteur ne renonce pas aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent.
Toute diffusion, utilisation ou copie de ce message ou des renseignements qu'il contient par une personne autre que le (les) destinataire(s) d�sign�(s) est interdite.
From: "Lane, Jim" on
Joe: thanks for this. From what I've seen of them I'd say that templates ar=
e an easier row to hoe than annotate so that's where I'll start. The proble=
m I've had hitherto with templates is figuring out which resource names con=
trol which parts of the output. There doesn't seem to be any documentation =
on this. I would have expected something pictorial with sample PROC output =
labeled with pointers to what the resource names refer to.=20
=20
Wish me luck!
=20
/JL

________________________________

You could expand the scope of your efforts by exploiting annotate and/or te=
mplates which would make your task quite simple. With templates for exampl=
e, you could generate two different vertical bar charts (two different invo=
cations of Proc Gchart) and put them in appropriately designed template pan=
els--one for past months and one for predicted future months. Or, with ann=
otate you could dispense with Proc Gchart altogether and generate everythin=
g with the annotate facility which gives you programmatic, pixel level cont=
rol over the graphics display so that you can draw anything including verti=
cal bars and place them exactly where you want them.

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 1:58 PM, Lane, Jim <jim.lane(a)rbc.com> wrote:

Hi, All
=09
[...]

otherwise) immediately. =20

From: Joe Whitehurst on
Good luck. The templates I was referring to are Proc Greplay Templates.
Very easy to design and use.