From: Joe Matise on
Subtotals meaning what? The total of each region*item break? Use the types
statement to see that combination, if that's what you mean.

Also, you could use PROC REPORT if you're looking for more control over
totals/subtotals.
-Joe

From: rjf2 on
> From: Irin later
> Subject: Totals and Subtotals with Proc Means
>
> When I need to calculate Total I just use PROC MEANS with
> output statement.For example:
>
> PROC MEANS DATA=SALES;
> TITLE 'Calculate Totals';
> CLASS REGION ITEM;
> VAR QUANTITY;
> OUTPUT OUT=QUAN_SUM SUM=TOTAL;
> RUN;
>
> However, I am confused how to calculate subtotals (if any)?
>
> Could you please give me a hand? Thank you in advance.

this sas community wiki page has a macro which produces a summary row

http://www.sascommunity.org/wiki/Summary_Cross-Tab

summary: use the option chartype

Ron Fehd the macro maven CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2 at cdc dot gov