From: GrimReaper on
Windows XP Pro - SP2

Can the "Compact Check Count "DWord" be set to a negative value i.e -5,000
or less in this registry key?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID for
Identity}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
Express\5.0.

Grim

From: jaster on
On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 08:57:55 +0100, GrimReaper thoughtfully wrote:

> Windows XP Pro - SP2
>
> Can the "Compact Check Count "DWord" be set to a negative value i.e -5,000
> or less in this registry key?
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID for
> Identity}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
> Express\5.0.
>

> Grim
Trouble with the registry is you never know what entry goes with which
entry.

You could export the key, change the value and see if OE and
XP still work. If OE fails you can import the key to see if everything
goes back

OTOH, you could uninstall OE 5. and install OE 6.

IMO, it's not worth the effort to correct a single registry entry unless
you know exactly why and what it will do, ie, correcting an invalid path
entry, turning off a feature. A lot easier removing obsolete registry
entries.
From: GrimReaper on
I have answered my own question and fixed my problem which was XP
Professional with SP2 will automatically ask you if you want to compact your
e-mails after you open OE 6.0 100 times. You cannot stop this in
Maintenance. You also cannot set a negative DWord but I have created a
registry entry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID for
Identity}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0\Compact Check Count =
dword:00000000
This is run at start-up by a simple *bat file and resets this dword to zero
each time my computer is turned on.

BTW I have got OE 6.0. XP shows this program in the registry as 5.0. Go
figure

Thank you for your comments

Grimreaper

"jaster" <jaster(a)home.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 08:57:55 +0100, GrimReaper thoughtfully wrote:
>
>> Windows XP Pro - SP2
>>
>> Can the "Compact Check Count "DWord" be set to a negative value
>> i.e -5,000
>> or less in this registry key?
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID for
>> Identity}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
>> Express\5.0.
>>

>> Grim
> Trouble with the registry is you never know what entry goes with which
> entry.
>
> You could export the key, change the value and see if OE and
> XP still work. If OE fails you can import the key to see if everything
> goes back
>
> OTOH, you could uninstall OE 5. and install OE 6.
>
> IMO, it's not worth the effort to correct a single registry entry unless
> you know exactly why and what it will do, ie, correcting an invalid path
> entry, turning off a feature. A lot easier removing obsolete registry
> entries.

Pages: 1
Prev: task manager problem
Next: How do I open a port?