From: crackhead007 on
I'm trying to download torrents using UTorrent. I am trying to do this
on my laptop via wireless connection. I have a Linksys WRT54G router
hooked up to my desktop, which provides my laptop's internet
connection. The UTorrent says "a port must be forwarded from your
router to utorrent to get good speeds". So I opened up the router
software and added the port utorrent says its using to the "port
forward range" page, for the IP address on that page it only has the
option for me to put in the last 3 digits of my desktop IP address, so
I entered those. Still not working. I'm thinking it's not working
because it's forwarding the port to my desktop and not my laptop. How
do I open the port on my laptop? Any help is appreciated.

From: Nil on
On 13 May 2007, crackhead007(a)gmail.com wrote in alt.windows-xp:

> I'm trying to download torrents using UTorrent. I am trying to do
> this on my laptop via wireless connection. I have a Linksys WRT54G
> router hooked up to my desktop, which provides my laptop's
> internet connection. The UTorrent says "a port must be forwarded
> from your router to utorrent to get good speeds". So I opened up
> the router software and added the port utorrent says its using to
> the "port forward range" page, for the IP address on that page it
> only has the option for me to put in the last 3 digits of my
> desktop IP address, so I entered those.

Why did you do that? I thought you wanted to forward the port to the
laptop? You just told the router to forward the traffic to the
desktop!

> Still not working. I'm thinking it's not working because it's
> forwarding the port to my desktop and not my laptop. How do I open
> the port on my laptop?

Your desktop and laptop have different IP addresses. If you told the
router to forward traffic on that port to the desktop, then it won't
go to the laptop.

You may also need to open a port through Windows Firewall.

Go to <http://portforward.com/> for explicit instructions for your
router.
From: crackhead007 on
Forgot to add, I tried the instructions at www.portforward.com just in
case some here was goin to suggest that. Like I said, I think those
instructions are forwarding the port to my desktop and not my laptop.

Crackhead

From: Sinner on

<crackhead007(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Forgot to add, I tried the instructions at www.portforward.com just in
> case some here was goin to suggest that. Like I said, I think those
> instructions are forwarding the port to my desktop and not my laptop.

Those are instructions for forwarding to a port on any computer on your
network. You gotta know the IP addresses for all your computers.
Generally, port forwarding won't work if you're using DHCP because every
time you connect to the network, there's the real possibility that you'll
get a different IP address.

From: crackhead007 on
Yeah, I just figured that out. I used some website (iChicken or
something like that) to get my IP address for my laptop earlier and it
said something like 76.212.something so I thought it was the IP
address for my laptop, and there wasn't a way for me to enter that
address in the linksys software. Anyway, I was just sitting here
thinking about it and thought "wait a minute, that can't be right" so
I did the ipconfig and found the actual address. After entering that
in the linksys, it worked fine. Damn I feel like an idiot. I was
overthinking the problem since I've never had to deal with opening
ports and whatnot, I was focused on the port and not the IP address.
Thanks for your feedback.

Humbly,

Crackhead