From: Peter Olcott on
How can I do registry free COM for VBScript clients?
--
100% Accurate Display Screen OCR
http://www.OCR4Screen.com
From: Mayayana on
| How can I do registry free COM for VBScript clients?
| --

By "VBScript client" you mean a running .vbs file?
"Client" is usually used in some kind of interactive
situation, like a server and webpage.

I realize that you're trying to protect your ideas in
these posts, but the posts sure are hard to answer. In
general it sounds like you've chosen the wrong tool
in using script. On top of that you're providing minimal
information while often using terminology that's
inapproriate/vague/superfluous, in an apparent effort
to make it sound more official.

I also wonder if you understand the landscape. You're
talking about using an interpreted language, but it
sounds like what you really mean is that your end-users
will use an interpreted language. You seem to want
it free -- you don't want to buy anything to do this
project. But you want to write ActiveX libraries. But
you don't want dependencies. And you're very secretive
about your code, but you're talking about writing your
libraries in either VBScript or C#.Net. Neither of those
will hide your code because they're not compiled. And
probably neither is the answer you need, anyway. VBScript
components are probably not appropriate, and .Net has
hundreds of MB worth of dependencies.

So now you want RegFree Com for a running script,
so that your .Net components won't have to be
registered (even though people may need to download
hundreds of MB worth of .Net Framework files, anyway)?
What's the problem with installing this software? Now
that it requires .Net it's not going to run "out of the box".
If you install it you can register the COM libraries.

I don't know for sure, but it seems very unlikely that
you can get RegFree COM for libraries loaded by a VBScript.
You need a manifest, which means the manifest
would need to be in the same location as wscript.exe.
But why would Windows look for a manifest when
launching wscript.exe? And even if it did, wscript.exe
would have to be designed to adapt to that, adding
the object to the scope of all scripts it runs, rather
than to the scope of its own process. That means
that wscript would have had to have been rewritten
since regfree COM came in circa XP. And since RegFree
COM is really not relevant for VBScript, that wouldn't
have made much sense.

From: Stefan Kanthak on
"Peter Olcott" <NoSpam(a)OCR4Screen.com> wrote:

> How can I do registry free COM for VBScript clients?

Instanciate the COM object via GetObject() and reference it by its
DLL-pathname.

Stefan

From: Mayayana on

| > How can I do registry free COM for VBScript clients?
|
| Instanciate the COM object via GetObject() and reference it by its
| DLL-pathname.

I think he's talking about real RegFree COM,
doing it with WSCs.

If you have a method for that I'd like to see
it. It doesn't seem to work for me to do anything
like:

Set fso = WScript.GetObject("c:\windows\system32\scrrun.dll",
"Scripting.filesystemobject")

(And that's a registered class.)

From: Peter Olcott on
On 8/24/2010 8:52 AM, Mayayana wrote:

> |> How can I do registry free COM for VBScript clients?
> |
> | Instanciate the COM object via GetObject() and reference it by its
> | DLL-pathname.
> |
> I think he's talking about real RegFree COM,
> doing it with WSCs.

Not quite. I am talking about a VBScript using a COM component written
in C++ without this component being registered. I thought that I read
something about this being possible if {the script interpreter, the
script, and the COM component} were all in the same directory.