From: Al Dunbar on

"Todd Vargo" <tlvargo(a)sbcglobal.netz> wrote in message
> Al Dunbar wrote:
>> So, you want us to review a 200 line script from who knows where and
>> adapt it so it does something useful for you? Good luck on that one. That
>> said I'll try to make a few small contributions...

>> 4. At this point I'll turn you over to anyone who actually has the time
>> to read through this poorly written script to see what sense, if any, it
>> might make. You say you found this - where, precisely, or, more
>> appropriately, under what log? It is missing at least a couple of
>> critical aspects that might have made this less of a wild goose chase,
>> namely, some indenting and more judicious use of whitespace, along with
>> some comments.
>>
>> Perhaps this script is capable of making changes to registry values
>> somewhat along the lines of what you are trying to do. But just to adapt
>> this code to do that would be a significant task.
>>
>> As to changing (i.e. renaming) registry keys, you seem to be asking for
>> trouble. Suppose the registry contains keys named "homer" and "marge",
>> and the server names in question happen to be "homer" (to find) and
>> "marge" (to replace with). As long as a key called "marge" exists, the
>> key called "homer" in the same parent key will not be able to be changed
>> to "marge".
>>
>> I suspect that if you ever get this script working to the point where it
>> modifies the registry, that running it will disable the computer. Good
>> luck with that.
>
> FWIW, the code is indented, but for some reason, Microsoft newsreaders
> eliminate tab characters instead of converting them to white space. That
> is why I prefer spaces for indenting.

I didn't realize that, thanks. MS is currently fixing this problem by
cancelling all of their "microsoft.public" newsgroups ;-)

> I agree with your other comments. ISTM, the OP could use regedit to
> export the key in question to a reg file, modify it (including a delete
> original key line) and then import the modified reg file. Unfortunately,
> the code lacked enough information to offer assistance.

I think the code was simply an example he found that included functionality
somewhat equivalent to a small portion of what he wants to accomplish.

In some ways this reminded me of the prototypical example post:

<begin>

"Here is a script that does some of what I want to do. Can anyone help me
figure out how to modify it to calculate the gross national product of the
USA?

option explicit
msgbox "GNP of USA is " & USAGNP()
wscript.quit
function USAGNP()
USAGNP = "put the calculation here"
end function

</end>

/Al

From: Todd Vargo on
Al Dunbar wrote:
> "Todd Vargo" <tlvargo(a)sbcglobal.netz> wrote in message
>> FWIW, the code is indented, but for some reason, Microsoft newsreaders
>> eliminate tab characters instead of converting them to white space. That
>> is why I prefer spaces for indenting.
>
> I didn't realize that, thanks. MS is currently fixing this problem by
> cancelling all of their "microsoft.public" newsgroups ;-)

You get the same issue when reading any Usenet groups. It's not the server,
it's your Microsoft newsreader (Microsoft Windows Live Mail) that removes
the tabs.

From: Al Dunbar on

> Al Dunbar wrote:
>> "Todd Vargo" <tlvargo(a)sbcglobal.netz> wrote in message
>>> FWIW, the code is indented, but for some reason, Microsoft newsreaders
>>> eliminate tab characters instead of converting them to white space. That
>>> is why I prefer spaces for indenting.
>>
>> I didn't realize that, thanks. MS is currently fixing this problem by
>> cancelling all of their "microsoft.public" newsgroups ;-)
>
> You get the same issue when reading any Usenet groups. It's not the
> server, it's your Microsoft newsreader (Microsoft Windows Live Mail) that
> removes the tabs.

I understood that. My previous reply was intentionally sarcastic. But since
I will likely not be looking for other newsgroups to lurk in, their
cancelling the ms.public newsgroups will effectively fix the problem for me.

/Al

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: VBScript on Windows 64 Bit?