From: Howard Brazee on
On Wed, 12 May 2010 11:07:46 -0400, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:

>That is why I asked for the model. With that information, we could
>search Google and determine the method Emachines provided to return the
>PC to its original condition.

I have the model written down at home, but I'm at work. My Mom lives
in a retirement home - I was going to try to borrow her computer this
weekend, but I may need to get by before I take it.

>It's quite possible this PC did not ship
>with a CD and that the method involves accessing a hidden recovery
>partition on the hard drive.

Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure that this is the case. I
hope it has some instructions somewhere.

>Also, look at the COA sticker. It should look like this:
>
>http://i1.iofferphoto.com/img/item/354/750/76/X08.jpg

Will do.

- James Madison
From: Howard Brazee on
On Wed, 12 May 2010 08:55:30 -0700, "Ken Blake, MVP"
<kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

>There should be no problems with data, if you've copied it, but her
>applications will have be reinstalled from the original media.

Hmmm, she's in her 80's and she's not real organized. That might be
a problem.

Interesting problem though when people don't remember whether they
bought a program on-line or from where.

- James Madison
From: Bob I on

Howard Brazee wrote:

> On Wed, 12 May 2010 11:07:46 -0400, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:
>

>>That is why I asked for the model. With that information, we could
>>search Google and determine the method Emachines provided to return the
>>PC to its original condition.
>

> I have the model written down at home, but I'm at work. My Mom lives
> in a retirement home - I was going to try to borrow her computer this
> weekend, but I may need to get by before I take it.
>

>>It's quite possible this PC did not ship
>>with a CD and that the method involves accessing a hidden recovery
>>partition on the hard drive.
>

> Now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure that this is the case. I
> hope it has some instructions somewhere.

try here
http://www.emachines.com/support/product_support.html

From: Daave on
Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> On Wed, 12 May 2010 07:53:25 -0600, Howard Brazee <howard(a)brazee.net>
> wrote:

>> But I have a half dozen Windows XP disks. I don't know if it makes
>> any difference which one I use - but I don't want to use a code I
>> have already used for reinstalling Windows. Can I look up her code
>> and then use any disk?

> Yes, *if* the disks match her Windows XP with respect to Retail vs.
> OEM, Full vs. Upgrade, Home vs. Professional. And also if she has an
> OEM version that came with the computer, it will probably also have to
> match with respect to OEM vendor.

That is not my experience.

That is, it should be possible to use a generic OEM (aka System
Builder's) version of XP along with the Product Key on the COA sticker
affixed to the PC with the OEM XP license, provided the type of XP
(e.g., Home or Pro or MCE) matches.

One time, I ran into a bit of a snag with an HP laptop. During the
installation (using my System Builder's OEM XP Pro installation CD), it
would not accept the Product Key from the COA sticker (OEM license for
XP Pro) as it should have. I researched the problem and instead used the
generic "golden master" product key that HP uses for XP Pro. That
allowed me to complete the installation. Then when it was time to
activate XP, I needed to enter the Product Key on the sticker!

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Wed, 12 May 2010 12:41:24 -0400, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:

> Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> > On Wed, 12 May 2010 07:53:25 -0600, Howard Brazee <howard(a)brazee.net>
> > wrote:
>
> >> But I have a half dozen Windows XP disks. I don't know if it makes
> >> any difference which one I use - but I don't want to use a code I
> >> have already used for reinstalling Windows. Can I look up her code
> >> and then use any disk?
>
> > Yes, *if* the disks match her Windows XP with respect to Retail vs.
> > OEM, Full vs. Upgrade, Home vs. Professional. And also if she has an
> > OEM version that came with the computer, it will probably also have to
> > match with respect to OEM vendor.
>
> That is not my experience.
>
> That is, it should be possible to use a generic OEM (aka System
> Builder's) version of XP along with the Product Key on the COA sticker
> affixed to the PC with the OEM XP license, provided the type of XP
> (e.g., Home or Pro or MCE) matches.

You're right. My apologies. I was thinking of a big OEM's CD
(BIOS-locked to the computer) with a generic key.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup