From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
A Repair Install will not and cannot resolve a malware-related issue.

From: Daave on
Howard Brazee wrote:
> On Thu, 13 May 2010 23:27:00 -0400, "Daave" <daave(a)example.com> wrote:
>
>>> I will run what I can to clean it up.
>>
>> In that case, I recommend you visit this page:
>>
>> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware
>>
>> It's quite labor-intensive, but you will have a shot at fixing
>> whatever problems are there.

> I don't know that she has malware.

Also, you don't know she *doesn't* have malware. ;-)

Usually, if a PC is "messed up," malware is the cause.

> A couple of people have
> suggested that reinstalling Windows as if it were an upgrade would fix
> a poorly running system.

A poor suggestion. A Repair Install is only indicated in certain
situations. You have provided no indication that your mother's PC
suffers from one of these situations.

> I was planning on running Spybot after
> doing a full virus scan. I'll probably run a few of the things
> mentioned on your link.

Good luck. In addition to checking for spyware (Spybot S&D is OK, but
MBAM and SAS are superior), you need to check for viruses, worms, etc.
Avira AntiVir and Avast are good free AV programs.

If you post back with specifics with regard to the actual problems on
this PC, we may very well be able to provide you with much more targeted
advice. For instance, you might find that all you need to do is to
unsintall the Google toolbar browser addon (or something else along
these lines).