From: Barbara Z on
A computer (Dell Dim4300S about 3 yrs old) was given to me to fix. It would
start with the menu to choose Safe Mode, Start normally, etc. Any choice
would end up just going to a black screen w/ a movable mouse. (Safe Mode
would have "Safe Mode" in corners.)
I tried to reinstall OS CD; it would see original OS and I'd hit R for
repair (vs. a fresh install). It got to about 22 mins left on Installation, I
left the room, and upon returning, saw the black screen again. Nothing would
happen, so I tried again, doing the exact same thing. The black screen came
up again, so then I tried a fresh install w/ CD, but I kept it on the C drive
and just renamed folder "Windows2" to try to avoid losing files she had. This
went through, but the only way I see her old programs is through Windows
Explorer. If I click on them, I only get various files/folders with the
program; it doesn't start up on its own. If I click on a main file (ex
Microsoft Works) thru Prog Files, it usually says a file is either renamed,
missing or deleted. Through Windows Explorer, I also see the original
Windows folder, but at the top of its expanded list, there are a bunch of
blue items: ex., "$NtUninstallKB828741$" and 11 others w/ different KB
(Knowledge Base?) numbers. The last item is "$xpsp1hfm$".
What I was trying to do is figure out if I can get Windows Xp running here
(as in a re-install) and not lose all the programs she has installed. This
is not emergency situation, but I'd like to know if it can be done. After I
first did the Windows2 install, I thought I could just delete the original
Windows folder and then rename the 2nd folder back to "Windows". But it
looks like parts of the programs somehow get tied up in the Windows folder.
Is that why something always seems amiss when I try to get a program to run?
Also, I installed AdAware, SpyBot and AVG on the Windows2 OS. When I go
thru Prog Files and click on AVG Setup, it starts, but I figure that's
because I installed it on Windows2 and that's the OS I'm running. (On
starting the computer, I get the "dual OS" choices - both Win Xp Home, of
course.
Any ideas?? If I have to, I can just do an overwrite, or I could reformat
the drive and start completely fresh. I have her OS CD; I don't need any
kind of boot floppies for Xp, do I? I'm more accustomed to doing 98 with a
reformatted hard drive; haven't done Xp yet.

Thanks for help. Hope I've been clear enough.
--
Barb Zakrzewski
From: Sleepless in Seattle on
You have to reinstall all applications (old programs) as the registry is
brand new and contains no reference to them.

P.S. If you reformat the HDD you need to backup any data.

From: Keith Huntley on
Basically when you installed windows to windows 2 folder you installed a
fresh copy. Yes the programs install to the windows folders. that is why you
can not just copy it over
I do not belive you can rescue the prior install
What you can try is a repair install..
When you boot up to the Windows Xp cd you will need to choose the first
option So hit Enter
then hit F8 The next screen will give you a choice to to repair or install a
fresh copy Try to run the repair from here chooseing the Windows folder to
install to
If that does not work then you will need to reinstall all the programs, I
would try to get as muchof her data as possible burn it to a cd
Then go through the above but this time choose fresh install (hit esc key)
then choose to reformat the partion and reinstall
Post back to the group

From: Barbara Z on
Keith - I had already tried the "repair" option twice before, bit I tried it
ONE more time ( j.i.c.).
Since that didn't work, I went to fresh install, and reformatted drive, then
used Dell CDs to reinstall drivers, apps, etc. Thanks.