From: KARL DEWEY on
You have a 'spreadsheet' and not a very good one instead of a 'normalized'
relational database tables.

With text data fields like [Date - Week Ending Date] and [Date - Supplier
Check Date] you will never be able to sort the records. You will not be able
to pull records for any given period of time.

You need to revise your table structure.

--
Build a little, test a little.

From: John W. Vinson on
On Tue, 11 May 2010 19:08:11 -0700, Merge <Merge(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>the 3 combination will create a unique record. Do I need to do this
>differnetly? I am taking the name and using the 1st 10 digits to make it
>match better.

Names don't have digits (well, R2D2 does), they have characters; and using the
first 10 characters of a 21 character name will make it LESS unique, not more
unique. And if these are people's names, truncating "Bill Jones" and "William
Jones" won't help make them match!

You do NOT need to create a new concatenated field to match records. You can
join two tables on one field, or on three fields, or on ten fields if you
wish.

Again: could you post an example (obfuscated for privacy if need be) of your
data, and explain what constitutes a match? Do you have a Primary Key in both
tables? If so what is that key?
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: Merge on
Thanks that is true

I will fix up the column names, I just imported the data from a report I ran.

From: Merge on
My problem is the data format is different on both reports
Doing this concatenate The pay code on one reports references the pay code
and on the other report you have to figure out the code by what type of hours
they have worked. then for the nameJohnson Dominick is on one and Johnson
Dominick Jr is on another this is why I take the first 10 digits

I want to keep it simple I may just export the query to excel and import it
back as a table. I do not have much support from my IT group so I am tackling
this on my own (Novice user)

I am just using this to match Data to create coding for payments received.

From: KARL DEWEY on
One way would be to build a translation table like this --
tblTranslate --
EmpID - Primary key
IQN Remitt - text - names used in the table
TRU_Billing - text - names used in the table

Then you can join the tables using tblTranslate table.

--
Build a little, test a little.