From: Don E Don on
I can't get relative references working in a conditional formatting formula
in Excel 2003. Can someone help me with this? I'm sure it must be something
simpe I'm missing.

Here's what I want to do:
- Apply a conditional format to a large area of a spreadsheet to show when
the cell in the column to the left of each cell has a higher numeric value
- I'd also like to have the ability to insert columns and have them inherit
the same conditional formatting. If i have to do this by painting, that's
fine.

Here are the formulas I've tried so far:
=OR(C[-1]>C[0])
=OR(RC[-1]>RC[0])
=OR(R[0]C[-1]>R[0]C[0])

All of these give me an error message saying the formula is incorrect.

Thanks for your help.
From: "David Biddulph" groups [at] on
You don't need the OR function if you're not trying to combine more than 1
condition.
=OR(A1>B1) is the same as =A1>B1

Select the range you want to format.
If your active cell is B1, the condition to put under "Formula Is" in CF is
=A1>B1
--
David Biddulph