From: Mike Mackenzie on
jt august <starsabre(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote (in part):

>One thing on the PCW8256 not mentioned in this article above was that it
>sported a surprisingly good implementation of BASIC, which both my
>father and I used extensively. Mallard BASIC, if I recall correctly.

That's correct.

>The floppy drive eventually went south on us, and my Dad had to retire
>the machine. To my dismay, he simply chucked it. I would have liked to
>keep it and find a different unit with a salvageable drive so as to keep
>it in my extensive computer collection.

The main weakness with the PCW series was the 3" drive. They all had
a rubber or neoprene belt drive, which had a very finite life
depending on climate. The belts lost elasticity and started slipping
so that the floppy speed became erratic. Initial symptoms were
occasional R/W errors, but eventually the floppies became unreadable -
even on a good drive. Replacing the belt was not difficult -
providing you had ones of the correct dimensions.

--
Mike Mackenzie (AVCOM Services)
Brisbane, AUSTRALIA