From: news reader on
....where can you get an internet connection with huge bandwidth 'cheaply'?

A range of programs I have listed to buy are roughly 90Gb in total and it
would seem smarter to get those products by download (as opposed to getting
them on 20+ dvds) and suddenly I see no reasonable connection for being able
to do that.

How soon before we might see 50-100Gb monthly plans? And why can't ISPs
give me unlimited data but restricted data rates? I wouldn't mind a 256kbs
connection if it was unlimited. Is there any such thing?

From: terryc on

htpp://www.broadbandchoice.com.au

> A range of programs I have listed to buy are roughly 90Gb in total

Canwe ask exactly what programs?
> it would seem smarter to get those products by download (as opposed to
> getting them on 20+ dvds) and suddenly I see no reasonable connection
> for being able to do that.

But are you not going to burn the iso's to dvds anyway?

From: Phred on
In article <RbVGm.51194$ze1.35956(a)news-server.bigpond.net.au>, "news reader" <newsreader(a)bigpond.com> wrote:
>....where can you get an internet connection with huge bandwidth 'cheaply'?
>
>A range of programs I have listed to buy are roughly 90Gb in total and it
>would seem smarter to get those products by download (as opposed to getting
>them on 20+ dvds) and suddenly I see no reasonable connection for being able
>to do that.
>
>How soon before we might see 50-100Gb monthly plans? And why can't ISPs
>give me unlimited data but restricted data rates? I wouldn't mind a 256kbs
>connection if it was unlimited. Is there any such thing?

I've had a Bigpond unlimited data for years. It's only 256/64, but
that's what you said would be acceptable. :-) [Personally, I sometimes
wonder if I'd be happier with, say, 1024 down and only a couple of gig
of data. But 256k is okay for most things I want, and better than 56!]

Cheers, Phred.

--
ppnerkDELETE(a)THISyahoo.com.INVALID

From: Rod Speed on
news reader wrote:

> ...where can you get an internet connection with huge bandwidth 'cheaply'?

> A range of programs I have listed to buy are roughly 90Gb in total
> and it would seem smarter to get those products by download (as
> opposed to getting them on 20+ dvds) and suddenly I see no reasonable connection for being able to do that.

Doesnt make a lot of sense to be getting a plan like that for a one off like that.

> How soon before we might see 50-100Gb monthly plans?

There have been a few truly unlimited plans.

> And why can't ISPs give me unlimited data but restricted data rates?

They do. Virtually all do that when the speed is capped when you exceed your limit.

> I wouldn't mind a 256kbs connection if it was unlimited. Is there any such thing?

Its just about universal with a lower speed than that. The
ones with voip do tend to have a higher capped speed.

Some like Exetel have very low charges for the data over the
limit, and may well be viable for that one off 90GB situation.

From: David on
In article <RbVGm.51194$ze1.35956(a)news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
"news reader" <newsreader(a)bigpond.com> wrote:

> ...where can you get an internet connection with huge bandwidth 'cheaply'?
>
> A range of programs I have listed to buy are roughly 90Gb in total and it
> would seem smarter to get those products by download (as opposed to getting
> them on 20+ dvds) and suddenly I see no reasonable connection for being able
> to do that.
>
> How soon before we might see 50-100Gb monthly plans? And why can't ISPs
> give me unlimited data but restricted data rates? I wouldn't mind a 256kbs
> connection if it was unlimited. Is there any such thing?

The local library might be your friend - whenever I want to download a
movie or a very large app I use the library's computers. The only
downside is they always have crappy Windows boxes, but it is better than
wasting my expensive 5gigs from BP

David