From: Fred on

"news reader" <newsreader(a)bigpond.com> wrote in message
> ...where can you get an internet connection with huge bandwidth 'cheaply'?
>
> A range of programs I have listed to buy are roughly 90Gb in total and it
> would seem smarter to get those products by download (as opposed to
> getting them on 20+ dvds) and suddenly I see no reasonable connection for
> being able to do that.
>
> How soon before we might see 50-100Gb monthly plans? And why can't ISPs
> give me unlimited data but restricted data rates? I wouldn't mind a
> 256kbs connection if it was unlimited. Is there any such thing?

The isp that I use has reasonable high use plans at ADSL2+ speeds.
For their ADSL2+ plans 24000k/1000k is the maximum possible speed but based
on a sample of existing customers, the average connection speed obtained is
between 6000k/1000k and 8000k/1000k.
What they do is split the useage into three components.
Peak downloads
Off peak downloads (midnight to 8.00 am)
and uploads.
As an example their largest plan that is called the 160GB plan priced at
$109.95 per month gives 80GB peak data + 80GB off peak data + 80GB upload
data allocations.
If any of the allocations are exceeded then all allocations are shaped.
A handy feature is that data blocks can also be purchased which un-shape
you. e.g. the maximum block is 80GB (costing $60) adding 40GB to peak, 40GB
to off-peak and 40GB to upload allocations.
So theoretically I could have truly unlimited data at full speed if I was
prepared to pay for it. If I maxxed out my connection 24/7 it would cost
around $1000 a month for 2.4TB

From: annily on
news reader wrote:
> ...where can you get an internet connection with huge bandwidth 'cheaply'?
>
> A range of programs I have listed to buy are roughly 90Gb in total and it
> would seem smarter to get those products by download (as opposed to getting
> them on 20+ dvds) and suddenly I see no reasonable connection for being able
> to do that.
>
> How soon before we might see 50-100Gb monthly plans?

There are already 200GB plans. I'm on the iPrimus one.

--
Long-time resident of Adelaide, South Australia,
which may or may not influence my opinions.
From: Tom on
Rod Speed wrote:
> news reader wrote:
>
>> ...where can you get an internet connection with huge bandwidth 'cheaply'?
>
>> A range of programs I have listed to buy are roughly 90Gb in total
>> and it would seem smarter to get those products by download (as
>> opposed to getting them on 20+ dvds) and suddenly I see no reasonable connection for being able to do that.
>
> Doesnt make a lot of sense to be getting a plan like that for a one off like that.
>
>> How soon before we might see 50-100Gb monthly plans?
>
> There have been a few truly unlimited plans.
>
>> And why can't ISPs give me unlimited data but restricted data rates?
>
> They do. Virtually all do that when the speed is capped when you exceed your limit.
>
>> I wouldn't mind a 256kbs connection if it was unlimited. Is there any such thing?
>
> Its just about universal with a lower speed than that. The
> ones with voip do tend to have a higher capped speed.
>
> Some like Exetel have very low charges for the data over the
> limit, and may well be viable for that one off 90GB situation.

$50/60 mth for 50/60gb dl plus 10 emails and 200mb web space adsl2
which is very reasonable.
From: terryc on
On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 05:27:50 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

> Some like Exetel have very low charges for the data over the limit, and
> may well be viable for that one off 90GB situation.

$6/Gb is cheap?

From: jonz on
terryc wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 05:27:50 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:
>

>> Some like Exetel have very low charges for the data over the limit, and
>> may well be viable for that one off 90GB situation.
>
> $6/Gb is cheap?
~~~~~~~~~
i have a tpg 256/64 acc., with *no* down/up limitations....$49.95..p/m
suits me....

--
jonz
"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea - massive,