From: anon_278 on
Is there any way of remotely accessing my home email using Outlook
2007 on my laptop?

My ISP has a webmail site for remote access, but the site is far less
user friendly than Outlook and I have to log in multiple times to
accommodate more than one email address.

I have Outlook 2007 in my laptop and tried using the same account
settings as my home desktop, but it wouldn't access anything.

From: VanguardLH on
anon_278(a)hotmail.com wrote:

> Is there any way of remotely accessing my home email using Outlook
> 2007 on my laptop?
>
> My ISP has a webmail site for remote access, but the site is far less
> user friendly than Outlook and I have to log in multiple times to
> accommodate more than one email address.
>
> I have Outlook 2007 in my laptop and tried using the same account
> settings as my home desktop, but it wouldn't access anything.

Easiest would be to use an e-mail provider that allows IMAP access to your
mailbox. You didn't identify your e-mail provider. Do they have IMAP?
From: Diane Poremsky [MVP] on
Did you get any error messages? Were you able to get into the mailbox? The
settings should work to check new mail but you may not be able to send
messages using the same settings.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

How many email accounts are in your main Outlook profile?

From: Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] on
<anon_278(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Is there any way of remotely accessing my home email using Outlook
> 2007 on my laptop?
>
> My ISP has a webmail site for remote access, but the site is far less
> user friendly than Outlook and I have to log in multiple times to
> accommodate more than one email address.
>
> I have Outlook 2007 in my laptop and tried using the same account
> settings as my home desktop, but it wouldn't access anything.

Can you describe what "wouldn't access anything" means? What did you try?

If you have a POP account on your home PC and it removes messages from the
server, then if you want to see the stuff on that PC, you'll need a remote
access solution like Remote Desktop Connection, VNC, or some other remote
access tool and you'll need to configure your home network to allow access to
your PC through your home firewall. Alternatively, you can sign up for a
service like GoToMyPC.com, offered by Citrix. They have ads on many radio
stations, the TWiT podcasts, and web sites like Kim Komando's that will give
you a promo code so you can try it free for some period of time like 30 or 45
days.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

From: anon_278 on
I received no error messages. Literally, nothing happened - no mail
was received, nothing was sent.

I have since learned from my ISP that if I change the incoming mail
server to POP3, I can receive mail, but cannot send any.

To send mail, They say I would need to use the outbound mail server
for the remote network that I would be using to access the internet -
such as at a hotel. Most hotel staff wouldn't have a clue what I was
talking about; they usually don't know a thing about the connection.

Make sense or is there a better way?